Limit One Per Customer

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bembol, Mar 1, 2012.

1. bembol macrumors 65816

bembol

I don't get why Apple won't change their policy by limiting one per customer, especially on launch date/week or even month. LOL

Let's be honest here, majority will sell it for profit.

iPad 3 will still sell out, sell Millions and still be on top of the Tablet war. Let everybody, who really wants it have one.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Everybody who really wants one can go get one. What they're trying to limit is everyone who wants to buy one for use and 10 for resale.

3. Zcott macrumors 68020

For the iPad 2 launch queue there was a limit of two per customer.

4. Rebel Hedgehog macrumors member

The thing is if someone waits in line for 8 hours odd and wants to buy 2 then I think they have deserved it really.

The thing is if you bought 2 and ebayed 1 of them, it would greatly reduce the cost of your own iPad.

I guess it's supply and demand. What I didn't like last year was all the Chinese scalpers who were queuing up night after night after night in order keep buying and buying.

I wouldn't begrudge anyone buying a couple as a one-off

5. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

6. deeddawg, Mar 1, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2012

deeddawg macrumors 604

So you think ipads end up with people who don't really want to have one?

Seems to me anyone willing to pay more than retail in exchange for not standing on line must really want one, else why would they not just wait?

Or do you really mean that people who don't go stand on line aren't deserving of an ipad?

----------

Perfectly legal, provided that denial is not due to one of the prohibited forms of discrimination like race, religion, etc. Where it gets sticky is when someone pulls out the race card or something and makes a big stink about it like the woman who claimed Apple's refusal to take cash was discriminating against her.

7. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

If that's the case, the thousands upon thousands of restaurants, service stations and other small businesses who post 'we reserve the right to deny service to anyone' signs on their front doors are in deep doo-doo.

8. iDvisic macrumors member

Why would it be illegal? Granted, if they were only limiting, say, iPads sold to those of Asian descent, there might be something actionable in that...but I'm pretty sure if someone wants to limit numbers across the board it's just fine.

-->iDv.

----------

Well, just posting a sign doesn't mean that it's valid. As noted above, if you deny service based on discriminatory criteria, you can point to your sign all you like. I'm pretty sure it won't hold up in court.

-->iDv.

9. wirelessness macrumors 6502

If you want two...order one online and wait IN LINE for another..

10. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Yep, If I want two (I don't) I can order two, just not 20!

11. Doombringer macrumors regular

How is denying a customer in this fashion illegal? We don't have an inalienable right to iPads. :eek:

Any business can impose restrictions on their services or products. If it becomes targeted and discriminatory, i.e. "no one with brown hair can eat here" then it becomes a matter of rights violation. Otherwise, 1-per-customer purchase restrictions are no more illegal than "no shoes, no shirt -- no service."

12. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Not entirely sure, but I believe it is two per customer per credit card per day.

Like I said, I am not completely certain though.

13. Tom8 macrumors 6502a

Off Topic:

Does anyone remember when Apple started taking online pre-orders for the iPad 3 in the UK, rather than having to go the store? Or where the available online immediately?

14. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Look, it's late, I'm tired, and I don't want to frak with Con Law if I'm not getting paid for it. Not really my cup of tea, anyway.

15. iDvisic macrumors member

Nicely done. You simultaneously hinted at an unassailable claim to expertise ("I get paid for this 'law' stuff") and devalued further discourse on the matter ("You're not paying me, and further discussion is therefore worthless to me"). Well, I'm certainly no expert. I was just flappin' my jaw as part of a general "shootin' the ****" experience. :D

-->iDv.

16. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Thanks, and I haven't really studied con law since my grad school. Governmental vs non governmental action, protected classes, blah, blah, blah. It's not important enough to me to study case opinions for two or three hours to win an internet pissing match.

I'm no expert either. I used to know enough to be a little dangerous, but no more.

17. iDvisic macrumors member

Oh, no pissing match here. I was just throwing out a point--to add to the discussion. Not everything is a competition. :)

-->iDv.