Limit target advertising dos not work in safari

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Silver78, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Silver78 macrumors 6502

Silver78

There is an option in ios7 to limit targeted advertising in safari but it clearly does not work! Is there any alternatives to get rid of targeted advertising or even a good ad blocker ?

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

It does not work because companies like Google bypassed it. That feature has been there since iOS 6.

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

Which particular one are you talking about (where is it in settings)? Also how do you know it's not working?

4. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Assuming you're talking about the "Do Not Track" feature, it does not work because it's a voluntary system.

The advertiser can simply choose to ignore it.

5. LV426 macrumors 6502a

And the ad-men are doing their level best to ensure that they can keep things that way...

6. Silver78 thread starter macrumors 6502

Silver78

I know its been there a while but just changed place in options after io7

I know it does not work because all ads showing up is products i've just looked at.. And its not new or "hot" products.

Mad ad men should be dipped i tar and feathers... Im tellin ya we dont take kindly to strangers around here

7. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

You can use plugins like DoNotTrackMe and JavaScript Blocker. JavaScript Blocker will make surfing more painful but it will give you more control over what scripts are loaded to your browser. I use Safari as my "safe" browser with these plugins and more and use Firefox as my "naked" browser for when I need to do things quickly and don't want to get bogged down in having to activate a script for a site to work.

8. nightstalkerz macrumors 6502

This sounds like you might be talking about "limit ad tracking" in the privacy settings.

This only affects apps and advertisers should follow it. iAds from apple might.

9. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

With iOS 7.0 and later they have no choice but to follow it.

iOS doesn't provide them with any other identifier they could use.

10. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I believe that's what the OP was referring to.