Limit Tethered Download Speeds?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by drccw, Nov 4, 2014.

1. drccw macrumors newbie

Is there anyway to limit the download speeds of tethered devices? My parents have somehow blown through 6 GB of data in 4 days using their iPad tethered to a phone. I think they use the hbogo app and am pretty sure that the app just optimizes speeds based on the connection. So, if I could figure out how to limit the tethered speed then perhaps their data usage would go down....

thanks
    drccw

2. HankHowdy macrumors 68040

HankHowdy

You mean to slow down the download speeds so much that they would be discouraged from using it as much?

Or are you talking about a data cap?

3. drccw thread starter macrumors newbie

My goal would be to throttle their download speed so that HBOgo would pick a lower bitrate.

drrcw

4. HankHowdy macrumors 68040

HankHowdy

It's too bad you can't set a streaming quality.

5. drccw thread starter macrumors newbie

exactly.. that would be better... SD is perfectly fine with them... something along the lines of 500 mb/hr... I'm not sure what the bitrates are now but my jaw dropped when I logged in and saw that they had used 6 GB already... I now have 30GB that we share a month which I thought was fine (never went over 8 before)

drccw

6. gglittle macrumors regular

Weird. Kids limiting the parents on digital usage. How about explaining to them that they need to set limits, and have them pay the overages. That will most likely set the governor that you want. I'm assuming that they are adults, after all.

7. drccw thread starter macrumors newbie

Right of course. but I think the iPad is sucking up more data because it thinks it connected to a Wifi network. I'm not going to make them pay for overages because they've done so much for me. Rather, I would like to set things up so that they can limit the amount of data that certain applications are consuming. For instance, I think that with netflix you can set the quality of data streams . unfortunately, Hbogo is unable to do that so I am hoping that there is some way to force the iPad into a throttled speed (or have the iPhone throttle the speed). Maybe if I make the tether via bluetooth then the iPad would have no choice.... Right now I've instructed them to turn off iCloud backup and automatic downloads....

drccw

8. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

I know what you mean. Until there is a way to deal with this I have told my kids no video if tethered. When you use an iPad with integrated mobile to connect to a video site it knows this and manages the connection accordingly. When you connect to your phone via wi-fi the iPad makes use of the full bandwidth available and defaults to the highest resolution possible. I would like a way too that allows me to set a quality limit when tethered. I like HD quality but not when I'm sucking my data plan dry. I can accept lower quality when not on a real wi-fi connection.