Limit time on a specific app on mac os?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ivorito, May 2, 2011.

1. ivorito macrumors member

Hey i am in need of revision and after giving up facebook and limiting time on youtube i have found another problem. Minecraft. Is there any apps that i can use to limit/restrict the usage for certain apps. thankyou :D

2. simonr2 macrumors newbie

hope I'm not to late!

i found a app called Watcher and I'm trying the free trial now it dose work for mac but i don't know if its perfect but give if a try it does app time restrictions for the website is: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/9037/watcher.
    the trial is 30 days and the full $20 (£16ish). ;)

3. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

You can do a lot with parental controls - but I think to get what you want you will have to buy something.

Are you really that lacking in self discipline?:confused:

4. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

OP...I must agree with charlieegan3 that total dependance on electronic aids to maintain self discipline will ill serve you throughout your life. There are MANY situations in which electronic aids to self control will not be available and you will find yourself in trouble. It is developmentally essential to develope internalized techniques of self control that will serve you in situations lacking electronic aids. :)

5. jrs22 macrumors 6502

Internal controls are important but committing to a timer is a good first step. You can get so caught up in a game like minecraft that you lose track of time. Just setting the timer requires internal discipline.

I tried the timer concept on my old PC, but then I moved on to games that require more thought and involvement so that I'm 'brain-tired' before I've spent too much time on the game.