Limit to Final Cut Render Files?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by swwack91, Jul 13, 2008.

1. swwack91 macrumors 6502a

I'm working on a short film that's about a half hour long. Out of that half hour, the entire video is composed of basically three source files (one capture file for each of the three days we shot).

Every few hours of editing and re-rendering changing effects shots, render files begin to disappear and I'm forced to re-render shots after I never changed them.

I'm thinking the the reason behind this is that there's SO MANY render files from one source, "Day 1." Under my theory, Final Cut reaches a certain number of render files per source file and then starts deleting the oldest, assuming that those are no longer in use.

Any thoughts? Solutions? :confused:

2. swwack91 thread starter macrumors 6502a

anything? this problem is beginning to get really annoying because i need to constantly re-render sections of the project as i move closer to completing it.

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

What hardware are you using, what kind of video, and what versions of OSX, QT, and FCP do you have installed? FCP will make as many render files as it has space for (I've seen render folders over 200gigs in size) so something else is going on.

Lethal

4. swwack91 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i'm using a C2D MBP 2.33GHz with 2GB of RAM. Final Cut Express HD 3.5 is installed onto my laptop's internal HD with all of the capture and render scratch on an external 1TB FW800 drive. A few resources (short video clips or sound effects) are on an external USB drive, but they're very few and and definitely not causing the problem.

The scratch drive has hundreds of gigs of free space. This has never happened before with me using the SAME EXACT setup. The only reason i'm even asking is because this is the longest short film i've worked on (about 25 minutes).

I've done projects that were hours long, but they had almost no render files and nearly no cuts... just kinda "raw video" projects.

This is definitely the longest FCE project i've worked on with a substantial amount of edits, layers, filters, etc.

hope all that helps.

5. swwack91 thread starter macrumors 6502a

as another note....

i haven't needed to re-render ANY audio files. it's only the video that's disappearing.

6. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

are you turning video layers off at any point (using the green 'visible' button) , this will unrender your timeline.

i run a 50gb dedicated render drive for all my fcp sites, we fill them up regularly , but have never known fcp to lose or delete render files during an edit.

7. swwack91 thread starter macrumors 6502a

that's it!!! i was turning layers on and off to touch up on a few spots with compositing. i never thought that that's editing the entire timeline!

duhhh

wow, i feel stupid. thanks!!!!! now at least i can rest at ease that final cut isn't tricking me!

thanks a ton.