Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TangoCharlie27

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2015
I'm not 100% happy with Bluetooth and Wi-Fi constantly transmitting directly around my body.
If I put my watch into Airplane mode does it still monitor my fitness etc?
Are there any limitations with stoping the iPhone communication for large periods of the day?

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Radio waves are just a form of 'light' (electromagnetic radiation) at a lower frequency (below red) than our eyes can detect. Just because we can't see or detect them people freak out.

Do you keep the lights off in your home from fear of exposure?

tinfoil_hat_zpszut5bbi3.jpg

Recognition

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2013
If you're worried about Bluetooth and wifi transmissions you probably shouldn't set foot outside your house, or inside your house for that matter!

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
I'm not 100% happy with Bluetooth and Wi-Fi constantly transmitting directly around my body.
Are there any limitations with stoping the iPhone communication for large periods of the day?

Where do you carry your phone ? In a wagon you pull behind you with a 6 foot handle ?

TangoCharlie27

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2015
Yes, you're all probably correct. But the iPhone is in my left pocket, the watch is in my right wrist. Both close to my body. Both are powerful transmitters and are frequently working. Sorry if I'm a little concerned.

jasie02

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
Stick your iPhone next to your brain, or in the pocket next to you know what, has to be worst than anything else.
Here goes using or carrying cellphone.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Yes, you're all probably correct. But the iPhone is in my left pocket, the watch is in my right wrist. Both close to my body. Both are powerful transmitters and are frequently working. Sorry if I'm a little concerned.

I take it you don't use a blue tooth headset or wireless headphone then?

TangoCharlie27

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2015
I take it you don't use a blue tooth headset or wireless headphone then?
No. Only because it's another thing to stick on a charger. I still use my iPod Shuffle for listening to music on the train! Remember the white stick? :) it does the job.

TangoCharlie27

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2015
So WiFi/BT is dangerous on your wrist but OK on your head?:eek:
I rarely use the phone. Most of my business is organised on the internet and friends by text messaging. I have plug in handset which is good for long phone calls if they occur. It resembles an old Bakerlight phone handset. It's rather pleasant to talk on.

joonyaboy

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
FL
I was disappointed that I couldn't turn the WiFi on the watch only (I was told by Apple chat that I could).

I hate the idea of all-day WiFi on my wrist.

Armand.Welsh

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2015
Wifi and Bluetooth are not strong signals, they are very weak signals. And they actually share the same frequency band, so the safe BT and the evil WiFi are the same thing. The only difference is the language they speak. They both operate at 2.4GHz... True, wifi can also operate at 5GHz, but aside from myself a a small set of my friends, almost everyone I know operates at 2.4GHz, and most free/public hotspots are at 2.4GHz. No the frequencies are used for cordless phones too, as well as wireless baby monitors, security cameras, and many more wireless devices. All of the scientific studies show the frequency to be safe. And the power level of the devices is so small I'm at a loss as to the risk of leaving them on. The only radiation that should be of concern is the cellular radiation, since that is almost always right next to your body at some point. And scientific research found that to be safe too, even though it transmits at much stronger signal levels than wifi or Bluetooth.

Reactions: TangoCharlie27

TangoCharlie27

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2015
Wifi and Bluetooth are not strong signals, they are very weak signals. And they actually share the same frequency band, so the safe BT and the evil WiFi are the same thing. The only difference is the language they speak. They both operate at 2.4GHz... True, wifi can also operate at 5GHz, but aside from myself a a small set of my friends, almost everyone I know operates at 2.4GHz, and most free/public hotspots are at 2.4GHz. No the frequencies are used for cordless phones too, as well as wireless baby monitors, security cameras, and many more wireless devices. All of the scientific studies show the frequency to be safe. And the power level of the devices is so small I'm at a loss as to the risk of leaving them on. The only radiation that should be of concern is the cellular radiation, since that is almost always right next to your body at some point. And scientific research found that to be safe too, even though it transmits at much stronger signal levels than wifi or Bluetooth.

I was talking to a chap a while back who worked in a military equipment factory. None of the workers there had mobile phones. When I enquired as to why, he told me that they used their sensitive measuring devices to establish the radiation emitted from the handsets. They were apparently flabbergasted regarding how high the readings were.
I guess mobile phones have improved somewhat since and perhaps they use them now.

LIOC

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2011
I like a whiskey every so often. I don't drink it all my waking life. :)
Everything in moderation is probably a good policy, for me anyway.

Why not just wear a fitness tracker? Wearing an apple watch in airplane mode most of the time is kind of pointless

Reactions: Knightcastle

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. A 50,000 watt radio tower is a powerful transmitter. 850 KOA is an example of such a transmitter, and its broadcast from Denver can be heard on radios in 30 states including California, Washington state, and Texas as well as Canada, Mexico, and even in Europe, Australia, and Japan. Your tiny cell phone is next to nothing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KOA_(AM)

I was talking to a chap a while back who worked in a military equipment factory. None of the workers there had mobile phones. When I enquired as to why, he told me that they used their sensitive measuring devices to establish the radiation emitted from the handsets. They were apparently flabbergasted regarding how high the readings were.
I guess mobile phones have improved somewhat since and perhaps they use them now.
I've mentioned this in another thread, but I'll say it again. My father spent his entire career working in power plants next to all sorts of massive equipment. Things like electric generators bigger than locomotives, massive electrical transformers, and countless high voltage transmission lines. ALL of this equipment emitted EM radiation that would make a cellphone, or a smart watch, look like a joke. Yet neither he, nor any of his coworkers, ever suffered from any conditions that could even remotely be tied to this EM radiation.

If EM radiation were such an evil thing, don't you think electrical workers all over the world would be suffering higher rates of cancer and whatnot? What about cell tower and radio technicians?

Kurri

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2009

well lots of people just not giving you answers. So i will answer...

Yes, in airplane mode you can still monitor fitness. If you go for a run though, you might want to turn off airplane mode and run with your phone if possible so you can track the run more accurately. The watch is a pretty great watch even in airplane mode, you just won't get your notifications. But fitness still works, still tells you to get up, etc. I know this because at my work we cannot have bluetooth or wifi or cell devices on us so I have to put it in airplane mode. Still a great piece of technology if you ask me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.