Limited Bands For Larger Wrist Sizes

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by MacManiac76, Mar 14, 2015.

1. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

I didn't realize until I just measured my wrist at 215 mm that the only band that will fit me is the classic buckle, and barely at that. Seems Apple has underestimated the wrist sizes of bigger men. I never considered my wrist to be extra large, but I guess according to Apple it is. I was considering other bands such as the milanese loop, but am disappointed that it is a no go no matter what. Maybe there will be some larger 3rd party bands in the future.

2. KPOM macrumors G5

Interesting. A number of others have said that. Most men's wrists are 7-8" or 175-200 mm. http://www.watchcases.com/wrist-watches--wrist-size.html

Given how much care went into the variety and manufacturing, it's a bit surprising they don't have more choices. This could be something they'll address over time. You might also see if it's possible that they would sell additional links for the link bands.

That said, it appears you need to take into consideration the size of the watch, too. So perhaps it will fit just fine.

3. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

I think maybe you would need to add 38 or 42mm to the band sizes since they attach at both ends. Apple really should clarify this. Most assume that the band sizes they give correspond to the circumference of the wrist, which they may not.

4. MacManiac76 thread starter macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

I thought maybe this too, but on Apple's sizing guide it states "Circumference of wrist".

5. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Well, that sux. If true, it's extremely short-sighted of Apple. W/o clarification from on high (Cupertino), I guess those with larger wrists are stuck waiting until the 10th to actually try one on in a store. BTW, there is no Apple store in my state, so I called to nearest one to see if they would have watches available since i'll be traveling that way in early April and the person I spoke to said they wouldn't have any watches until they were released for sale on the 24th. That would be a problem for many who want to physically see and try these models on.

6. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I would hope Apple has extra links in the store or available to ship. My wrists are large at 225mm. I have always had to have extra links installed when I purchase a new watch.

7. KPOM macrumors G5

I guess we'll find out on the 10th, but Apple generally has followed watch conventions (except the measurement of the case is the height vs. the width, which is more common in the industry), so perhaps you do need to add the height of the watch to the band length.

In any case, I think Apple expects to sell more of these to women (or to men as gifts for women). The wide array of bands geared to women, plus the features such as the emoji and heartbeat are targeted to women. They were probably more concerned about making sure that they had bands that weren't too big.

8. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

It clearly states wrist circumference and then 'fits wrists 130-180mm' etc. There will be no adding the height on top of this.

9. jaeb0922 macrumors regular

jaeb0922

Just got my space gray sport with black sport band in. Very tight fit.

I LOVE the sport band feel so I hope Apple figures out that we need larger bands.

10. Black Belt macrumors 6502a

Black Belt

I sent them emails telling them not to pull a Fitbit and make these too small. Larger people need the watch too, maybe more than little girliemen these are sized for.

I bought a couple Clicks on kickstarter so I could use properly sized bands and frankly much nicer than the Apple ones. The best Apple band is the Sportsband! The others look kind of cheap.

11. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

I started a similar thread about the Milanese loop band. They advertise it at 150-200 and my wrist is about 200. People who have received a Watch with that band have said it will handle much larger.

Also remember you can go to an Apple store and try on any model. Can't buy it there but you can check out the fit.