Limited cash

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by aznmochamike, Apr 26, 2008.

1. aznmochamike macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,
    My name is Mike and I'm new to this forum and to macs in general. All my life, I have been using pcs. Recently I built my own desktop for gaming and 2 years ago bought a toshiba satellite laptop for school. Unfortunately, my house was robbed 2 weeks ago and they stole my laptop along with a lot of other things. I need another laptop for school so I was really deciding on a Mac since I have never used one. I was looking to get the macbook 2.4ghz and making the hard drive space 250gb... with that, isn't it the same specs as the black one but minus 200 bucks? What do you think about that one? My last question was about buying it again: Since I am a student, I have heard rumors that apple does have a major back to school sale every year. Can someone tell me when that would be? and also how muchof a sale normally goes on?... thank you all your help:):)

2. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

I don't think you're gonna find much luck on here at all with people telling you whether or not you can torrent Mac apps and/or how to do it. In fact, prepare for an onslaught from folks about that rather taboo (around here) topic......................:eek:

3. aznmochamike thread starter macrumors newbie

taboo?

well... since I am new here I really didn't know if torrents was a taboo type of question, if it is then could you just ignore all those parts in my original question then?... thank you every1 again:) and thanks for telling me ahead of time

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The Back to School sale isn't necessarily the only time to buy on sale. You can check places like macmall.com, this marketplace, amazon and the refurb store (although you aren't going to find those specs). As to the torrenting thing, you really should just edit your post...otherwise you are not going to find some friendly/happy people.

5. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Any form of pirating/EULA is considered a no no,black MB's looks nice but i don't think it's worth the price jump,save the money and upgrade the RAM

6. aznmochamike thread starter macrumors newbie

upgrading the ram

If I were to be only using it for school, and maybe photo viewing, slight editing, watching movies and playing older games like counter strike, would the upgrade in RAM be very useful?

7. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Simple answer more RAM is always a good thing,especially for photo editing & games,its pretty cheap at present

8. aznmochamike thread starter macrumors newbie

its not cheap to me... im a poor college student... n got robbed... hahah... i'm probably gonna have to stick with the 2gb for now... thanks for the input though... but is there really any good deals going on from apple?... like a student discount that would save me a lot?... i dont want to get a refurbished laptop though because i just always have a feeling something is wrong with it even though i know they will re certify it

9. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

There is a college discount, but you'll need to have some way to verify it incase they ask you. It's generally $100 or so off the normal price of the computer and some price cuts on components.

10. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

If you either save with a student discount or refurb or by choosing a white MB instead of a black,get it with that,sorted

11. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

The student discount gets you 10% off the computer price and upgrades, it usually gives you a free printer rebate worth around $100-130 and a free ipod nano. You could sell those if you don't need them.

12. aznmochamike thread starter macrumors newbie

do you know if they have this year round? or is it at a certain time in the year when they have this "sale?"

13. dizzlemizzle macrumors member

its normally before school starts up... beginning around july and running through mid september... it isn't a guarantee though

if i were you i would go with a refurb macbook

14. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

They have the 10% discount year round, but printer and ipod rebates are only for a limited time. Printer deals usually last longer, they started last year around late may and lasted through september IIRC. The iPod rebates typically start before school starts. Apple will probably do it this year, since they have been doing this for a few years now.

15. MacHipster macrumors 6502

Along with the other suggestions, I'd recommend getting renter's insurance given your recent circumstance.