Limited Data Plans will KILL iAds.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by drjsway, Jun 12, 2010.

1. drjsway macrumors 6502a

With data being limited now, who would ever click on a fancy HTML5 ad with streaming videos and elaborate animations? You would essentially be charged to watch ads.

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

From the demos, it looks like you can exit an iAd anytime you want so I would think agencies would have to have ads clever enough that people would want to play with them. Regardless the ad banner is still there staring at you. It has your eye balls for as long as you are using the app it is embedded in.

I also think the data caps are much ado about nothing for the avg. user. that only uses 250-400mbs of data monthly. Even ever all the new features of iPhone 4 double peoples data use, it's still well under 2GB.

3. autumnmike macrumors member

Just a guess here, but I'm assuming iads are going to download in background to make them seem seamless. Cirrect me if I'm wrong

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think people underestimate how much space 2gb will be. I don't think iAds is going to cause people to blow past the 2gb cap

5. CJayC macrumors 6502

OP, because you know exactly how much bandwidth iAds use, correct?

6. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

I think that the ads are already on the phone. Apple said iAds are part of the OS. When you install iOS 4 on the phone they'll probably be a couple dozen ads ready to go. I wouldn't be surprised of ads are managed/added covertly during the iTunes syncing process.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Besides, current iPhone owners already have unlimited bandwidth, so you'll not have to worry about such things

If you are worried, just don't click on the ads and/or monitor your usage. People monitor how many txts they use (if they're not on an unlimited plan) or monitor how much gas is in their car. Likewise people will have to manage their data plans

8. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

If it really concerns anyone, perhaps they should support developers and get the non ad supported version instead.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The problem I think people will start seeing is that more and more apps will have advertisements in them, regardless if they're free or paid. The polish and ease of putting the ads and the prospect of higher revenue will be a siren's song for some developers.

10. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

This doesn't make any sense at all. There is absolutely no chance this is true.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Agreed because apple is not letting any iOS4 product hit the streets just yet.

12. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Are we thinking of interactive magazines with iAds in place where static ads are traditionally present?

That is a good point maflynn. :(

13. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

What does that have to do with anything? Eso was suggesting that iAds will never transmit ad content over the wireless network to a device but will only place ad content on a device during sync. That's absurd, and it has nothing to do with the eventual release date of iOS4.

14. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

I wouldn't waste any data on ads! Although I'm keeping my unlimited.

15. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

But what if the iAds are automatically downloaded whenever you have a free 3G connection? It wouldn't matter if you clicked them or not.

I wish Apple would have explained if iAds are downloaded when you click the ads (which I hope is true) or they downloaded Over the Air automatically.

Pure assumption, average iAd is 4MBs. If my iPhone automatically downloads 10-15 iAds a month, then it uses a significant chunk of my 200MB package - which would be complete crap. If I'm paying for 200MB, I want to use it on what I want use it on.

16. holidaypf macrumors member

17. androiphone macrumors 65816

not only playing the ad that uses data, even everytime you see the data it sends away data and downloads the ad so you can see it and also so apple know you have seen it and can charge the advertiser

18. army91c macrumors 6502a

Yeah they will still rake in the cash. I'll prob watch them just to see what they did......... rake it in I tell ya.

19. MVPinFLA macrumors 6502

This is exactly what I am concerned about. It would be the best way to have a clean smooth running ad; but could add a lot of 3G data usage. I have told all my friends not to get rid of unlimited until they see how the ads affect their usage.

20. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Again, iAds doesn't really make it easier to put ads in apps, it's already incredibly easy to do so. Plus, if devs put ads in paid apps they'll get so many bad ratings no one will buy them. I've seen that happen to a couple of apps who tried to do it.

21. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

I'd be fine if the advertiser credited me with the bandwidth their ad used.

Heck, if they want to credit me with additional bandwidth, as a reward for viewing their ad, then I'd be more inclined to click them. Think of it as micropayments in reverse.

22. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

iAds don't require internet connectivity, buddy. They're built straight into the app as far as I know...

23. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

Source? From what I've seen, the developer of the app specifies a location for an ad, but different ads are placed there by the OS.

The only question is how the ads are delivered to the phone.

24. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Please explain how iAds will be "part of the OS" if they are downloaded over the air when the app is run just like any typical add from admob?

Mark my words, full iAds will be available even in airplane mode.