Limited forum experience

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by wrldwzrd89, Jul 5, 2007.

1. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Anyone else feel like I do about this place only having a select few forums worth posting in? I wish that wasn't the case, but the whole iPhone section doesn't appeal to me, as do large chunks of the rest of the forums.:(

I'm only saying this because I feel I need to get it "off my chest", so to speak.:eek:

2. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

You mean customize the Forums so some Forums won't show up? I would really like to have that option.

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Not really, although I don't post in topics where I don't know much about, so that'd be some Photography topics and Video topics along with other topics like that.

4. dcv macrumors G3

It does - you can exclude certain forums from within the options section of your User CP.

5. ezzie macrumors 68020

ezzie

well, if you're using the forum spy this is already an option. i don't display anything about the iPhone or the gaming stuff.

and if you're clicking through the forum main page...well, just don't click on the things you don't care about. :eek:

maybe i'm not understanding your point. maybe i need to go home and take a nap. :(

6. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

No, that just blocks new posts. I want to block some Forums that I am not interested in completely. Like here's an example:
    I deselect Show Politics Forum and when that happens the Politics Forum dissappears completely. When I select Show Politics Forum, the Politics Forum will be visible again.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I honestly ignore the forum distinctions and just view all new, except when I'm (rarely) making a thread of my own...

Do you have suggestions for forums that you'd like to see? There's a constant turmoil between having special interest sub-areas for Mac users who also do ____ and focusing on Apple and Macs, but certainly I feel that the lack of interesting topics doesn't seem to be the result of a lack of interesting people here on MR.

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

well when browsing the forum index you can at least collapse some of 'em. not the best but might help.

9. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

Indeed that does it for me as well. Viewing New Posts and excluding all the iPhone and a few others.

10. hdsalinas macrumors 6502

hdsalinas

I would like a separate mac mini and imac forum as well as a apple specific software section and a 3 party one.

11. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

not enough traffic for those each to warrant their own.

12. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

One of the lovely mods made a great sticky at the top of this very forum on how to exclude particular forums from showing up in your "New Posts" and it's a similar process for if you use "Forum Spy."

And just to reaffirm what PoD said, when viewing the Forum Index, you can click these guys: [​IMG] to collapse those forums from view-- as long as you're logged in, it should save those settings for you. :)

I don't understand. :eek: If you're not viewing New Posts, or Forum Spy... then how else would you see those other forums? Via the main forum index? If so, then there's still a pretty good solution for that as others have said.

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

There are a lot of places on the site that I don't visit. I usually hang around the community and try to help someone if I see a post pop up in the spy. I am not going to just post around everywhere just for the sake of it.

14. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The list of forums I've been blocking has become quite ridiculous - Apple TV, iPhone, Marketplace, Politics & Religion, Gaming, Apple News... Having said that I'm glad MacRumors offers these sections to those who do want them.

15. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Thank you, everyone, for your input! It makes me feel a LOT better, especially when "the jewster" weighs in too :D

16. bartelby macrumors Core

I currently have 18 excluded forums. The RPSI and Current Events forum flip in and out of exclusion at various times

17. jng macrumors 65816

jng

I beg to differ slightly. Maybe it's just me. But I feel like the Community forum is getting lamer and lamer. If one more person asks for dating advice or fashion advice, I may barf.

There hasn't been anything interesting in there for a while.

And I agree with the OP, I'd love to block everything iPhone, including the tab in the MR nav.