Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ahoydecoy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2015
I'm pretty happy with my watch overall, and I agree that for a first generation it's pretty good, but the one thing I'm shocked that it can't do - and to be honest the one thing I would really "need" out of a smart watch more than any feature - is the ability to use it to trigger phone calls from my phone.

Ie. If I have my phone in my bag, but have my earphones connected (which I do for at least two hours a day, every day), I would like to be able to use the watch to make a call and speak hands free with my earphones via the phone, not the watch.

And alternatively, I'd like to be able to answer a call on my phone, using my watch (without having to take out the phone).

The watch can't do that and it surprises me.

To make it worse, I read in a review that it couldn't do this, so I asked an Apple employee during my try-on, who said it could, so I double-checked with an Apple employee online and they said "we can't comment on third party articles, but it contradicts the information we have been given and I can confirm the watch can do what you've described". Both were wrong.

Do you think this is the sort of thing that could/is likely to be added in a software update any time soon?

I can't be the only guy to want this.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I think it could be something that gets added, but tends to rarely improve the "phone" features of the iPhone, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

spytech

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2013
Ie. If I have my phone in my bag, but have my earphones connected (which I do for at least two hours a day, every day), I would like to be able to use the watch to make a call and speak hands free with my earphones via the phone, not the watch.

And alternatively, I'd like to be able to answer a call on my phone, using my watch (without having to take out the phone).

I don't have mine yet, but you can select on the Watch to pick up the call on the iPhone... And to make a call, you can just use Siri on the phone.

owaint

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2009
I'm pretty happy with my watch overall, and I agree that for a first generation it's pretty good, but the one thing I'm shocked that it can't do - and to be honest the one thing I would really "need" out of a smart watch more than any feature - is the ability to use it to trigger phone calls from my phone.

To make it worse, I read in a review that it couldn't do this, so I asked an Apple employee during my try-on, who said it could, so I double-checked with an Apple employee online and they said "we can't comment on third party articles, but it contradicts the information we have been given and I can confirm the watch can do what you've described". Both were wrong.

Do you think this is the sort of thing that could/is likely to be added in a software update any time soon?

I can't be the only guy to want this.

I don't get it? It does exactly what you want, just select the contact you want and press the phone button.

parkds

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2003
I don't get it? It does exactly what you want, just select the contact you want and press the phone button.

Except this makes the call via the watch's speaker phone, not via the iPhone (unless I am completely missing something). I completely agree with the OP that it would be really nice to initiate a phone call on the watch that is through the iPhone instead of the watch's speaker. I am disappointed it doesn't have this ability. A source selector, like the phone displays when making a phone call when connected to a car's bluetooth, would solve this.

edlex

macrumors 68020
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
Except this makes the call via the watch's speaker phone, not via the iPhone (unless I am completely missing something). I completely agree with the OP that it would be really nice to initiate a phone call on the watch that is through the iPhone instead of the watch's speaker. I am disappointed it doesn't have this ability. A source selector, like the phone displays when making a phone call when connected to a car's bluetooth, would solve this.

So you want to initiate a call from the watch and then talk on the phone? Why don't you just make the call from the phone to begin with?

Tebailey

macrumors regular
May 28, 2010
So you want to initiate a call from the watch and then talk on the phone? Why don't you just make the call from the phone to begin with?

As he states the phone is in his bag and has handsfree attached via BT

alexthegreat80

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2015
NYC/CT
I wear MFi hearing aids. I can start/receive a call on my watch and if i want to change it over to my phone/hearing aids. I Unlock my phone- press the green top menu bar to go to phone. then select the audio button, and change the audio to my hearing aids. I also see an option to have it just go to the phone.

i hope that helps

TEBnewyork

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2009
\

\

Are you saying with bluetooth headphones the phone is still on the speaker of the watch? That's not what I get. I just tested it. Connected BT headphones to my phone. Called from landline to iPhone. Answered on watch and was listening through headphones.

Now in the other direction my watch was using the watch speaker and not the BT speaker. Not sure if this is user error on my part. Used siri on watch to make a call.

I made a virtual setup appointment with Apple for this evening figuring I would have them answer any questions after a couple of days of use. I will ask them this tonight.

ahoydecoy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2015

What I mean is, as I described, a lot of the time I have my phone in my bag as I'm travelling, but am listening to a podcast or music with headphones (not wireless) that are connected.

I can't use the watch to make or receive a call through the phone and headphones (which I often need to do), without having to get the phone out.

I can only make or relieve a call actually on the watch, which isn't ideal. The 'transfer call to phone' button requires then pressing a button on the phone.

As the watch functions as a wireless remote for the phone in a dozen other ways, it would be nice (and incredibly useful for me) to be able to do this. And it can't be that difficult of a thing to programme.

It's like being able to dictate a message on the watch but having to get out the phone to press send.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
I noticed this too. I use wired headphones, and I have these connected to my phone in my pocket. If i answer a call on the watch, it uses the watch's speaker, not my phone, which is rather annoying.

ahoydecoy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2015
Are you saying with bluetooth headphones the phone is still on the speaker of the watch? That's not what I get. I just tested it. Connected BT headphones to my phone. Called from landline to iPhone. Answered on watch and was listening through headphones.

I mean being able to do this, but not with Bluetooth headphones, with wired earphones that I wear with the wire going into my backpack, where the phone is.

Sorry if I haven't explained this well.

----------

I noticed this too. I use wired headphones, and I have these connected to my phone in my pocket. If i answer a call on the watch, it uses the watch's speaker, not my phone, which is rather annoying.

Exactly, although it's very much a first world problem, I would have thought one of the basic capabilities of a smart watch would be able to make this work without having to get the phone out.

I assumed other people would have expected the same.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
What I mean is, as I described, a lot of the time I have my phone in my bag as I'm travelling, but am listening to a podcast or music with headphones (not wireless) that are connected.

I can't use the watch to make or receive a call through the phone and headphones (which I often need to do), without having to get the phone out.

I can only make or relieve a call actually on the watch, which isn't ideal. The 'transfer call to phone' button requires then pressing a button on the phone.

As the watch functions as a wireless remote for the phone in a dozen other ways, it would be nice (and incredibly useful for me) to be able to do this. And it can't be that difficult of a thing to programme.

It's like being able to dictate a message on the watch but having to get out the phone to press send.

Actually, you can answer a call on your phone via the watch, when you get an incoming call, scroll down and tap 'Answer on iPhone'

http://help.apple.com/watch/#/apd32b6c5658

Kent01

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2015
Massachusetts
ahoydecoy,

I am on the same boat as you and plan to keep my 6 Plus in my bag and use the wired apple ear buds. This totally SUCKS you cannot do that and that you have to tap accept on the phone before you can hand off the call.

Who the hell at Apple didn't think about this? I don't want to have Bluetooth headphones and a Bluetooth watch. I want to have a wired ear bud as I usually just keep one in my ear to answer calls now.

From what you seem the Watch adds an EXTRA STEP to doing that. I get my Space Grey 38mm tomorrow and this bums me out.

Thank you for reporting this.

ahoydecoy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2015
If you've got headphones in, you can still use the headphone control to answer though, surely?

Ha, this is true! Sorry, I do feel like a bit of an idiot for not realising this. I can use the watch to see who's calling and then answer with the headphone control.

It still seems like an oversight though, and I still can't make/trigger calls in the same way.

vikingjunior

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2011
Ha, this is true! Sorry, I do feel like a bit of an idiot for not realising this. I can use the watch to see who's calling and then answer with the headphone control.

It still seems like an oversight though, and I still can't make/trigger calls in the same way.

Can't you make a call with that same controller you answered the call with? SIRI?

parkds

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2003

This is exactly my issue.

danniexi

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
get earphones with inline controls (with volume and mic). When a call comes in, press the mic button and answer the call using the earphones?

ahoydecoy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2015
Do you think this is something that would be included in a software update, or would require a whole other generation of watch (or that Apple just wouldn't be bothered about at all)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.