Limited funds buying older iMac ??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rideoregon, Apr 24, 2008.

1. rideoregon macrumors newbie

I currently have an older iMac G3 (OS 9.2) and it's just not able to function very well anymore. I often can't even display web content properly with the old IE version 5. It tells me I'm out of memory etc. So.....I'm looking to buy a more current iMac and I've seen a used G4 800mhz with 768 RAM and 200gb HD, 17" monitor. The price is $375 and that just about fits my budget although I could go a little more if there is a better system to consider. Would this be a good option for me? I primarily just use this for email, web browsing, burning photos and tunes. No gaming or high end graphics. Any ideas or suggestions is welcome. Thanks for helping out!

2. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

Actually, for your uses, the G4 imac may be a great low cost solution. That particular model is one of my favorites. Just be sure that what you're getting is issue free, so it's actually an upgrade.

Other than that, you could probably look into a 17" G5 iMac. I imagine those would cost around $500-$600, depending on specs/seller. Good luck to you. :)

3. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

i have used a 667mhz tit powerbook with 768mb ram with 10.4 tiger

no problem

i dont do anything hardcore

just watching movies, itunes, iWork 08, iPhoto 08, Office 04, adium, safari

thats about it

it will be fine

enjoy

iMac g4s are amazing the design

4. kmarketing macrumors 6502

Hi,

I'd have to say to pass on it.

The imac g4's are nice machines, but I think that particular model may not be the greatest investment. Not sure if it would bother you, but it only has usb 1, and there is no way of upgrading it.

For $375, you may be able to find some g4 mac mini under the $300 range, and get a cheap lcd. If you need storage, you can get external hard drives that you can use for future machines.

If you can get a 1ghz or 1.25ghz, that may be more worthwhile.

Good Luck!

5. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

I'd say go for it. For that price, I wouldn't refuse. The iMac G4 was and still is a cool computer, certainly it will handle what you'll do with it well... if you wanted to run leopard (meh, it'd a little slow, but you aren't taxing the system a lot) but you can look for an iMac G4 above 867 Mhz... it wouldn't be too much more.

6. jons macrumors 6502

As others have said, you can probably find a G5 iMace for not much more. Either that or a G4 mini would be a great idea. You might even be able to find an older 1.83 macbook for around 5-600 dollars.

- js