Limited PowerMac Availability? No PowerBooks?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
One thread indicates that Low End 970 PowerMacs will be immediately available at WWDC... while mid and high end range machines will be delayed for approximately 5 weeks.

Meanwhile, according to the post, 15" PowerBook updates are not expected at WWDC.

Shipping low-end PowerMacs would be consistent with previous rumors from MacBidouille. If you believe their early reports, they claim 1.4GHz machines were in production in May, 2003 -- and would presumably be the "Low End" versions.

PowerBook update rumors have been ongoing for months... with vague hints at impending updates.

evil

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2003
chicago ex-toronto
low end 970 would hopefully be low enough to where i could try and pull together the money to pick one up.
this would be nice if it were true, but i dont give full trust in any of the rumors regarding the 970 and wwdc

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Seems good to me. Very logical. Low end ships immediately, and the high end in the infamous 6 to 8 week time frame.

The lack of PowerBooks does not surprise me, as I did not expect them anyway.

Nothing earth shattering yet......we'll see on Monday.

bobindashadows

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2002
Well we all know that there should be an update sometime soon. Since the 15"s haven't been updated in over 6 months... it's due. Perhaps MWNY?

As long as they release some kind of 970 we should all be happy, even if the top models take a few weeks. Just knowing that they are in production will be good for Apple.
I would not be suprised not to see new PB's at WWDC, maybe we may see them at MWCE.

Keep your fingers crossed.:cool:

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
sounds good to me, but im not getting to excited until mondays comes around and all the rumors will be proven true or not. all i know is that monday is gonna make or break many rumor sites.

iJon

Tiauguinho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2002
The Netherlands
Hmmmm... I surely hope that if Apple releases the PowerMac with the PPC970 that they update the Powerbooks to the same specs. I wouldnt be very good if the powerbooks stay once more with the G4's... As it has been mentioned hundreds of times, on Monday we shall see...

DoJo

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2002
Tempe, AZ
I very desperately want one if the specs are correct - I only worry about buying the first version of a new product.

And I need a computer this summer.

What a dilemma!

BTW - does anyone remember any recent (last 4 years or so) defects in new Apple products with the first version?

I can think of the eMac display problem and the scratch/hairline fracture issue with the cube.

MetallicPenguin

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2003
NC, USA
Hmmm......well I don't think the PowerBooks have been updated in like 9 months (the 15" that is) so I should expect one soon, maybe they will be announced Tuesday at 9:00AM like some rumor said, or maybe they will be at MacWorld CreativePro or whatever it is called now.

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
Powerbooks will be updated.

The Powerbooks will be updated at WWDC. Period.

Apple may very well have a trick up its sleeve for the Powerbooks, as they've been keeping a very agressive veil of secrecy over the impending update.

And arn, when did an AppleInsider post become accurate enough to be a front page rumor? (i.e. what do you know that we don't...? ;) )

weev

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Originally posted by polyesterlester
I'm going to go crazy if they don't update the PB soon... I've been waiting FOREVER for a new 15"!
I hear your pain -- surely the 15" is due for at least an announcement, and like the mid and hi-end desktops (and here I gather it means dual-proc machines, the low end by the rumors is a single processor) we are promised a short delay.

In any case if we expect low we will be happy. The 970 is here! Rejoice!

FrankMtl65

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2003
Good enough for me

I'm sooo ready for an upgrade that even the low-end might be the one. This said, even if not available does this this mean med./high end machines are revealed but not shipping?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Originally posted by Macmaniac
As long as they release some kind of 970 we should all be happy, even if the top models take a few weeks. Just knowing that they are in production will be good for Apple.
I would not be suprised not to see new PB's at WWDC, maybe we may see them at MWCE.

Keep your fingers crossed.:cool:
I actually expected the new PB's at MWNY, or maybe the new 970 PM's AND PB's at MWNY, and an unknown new device at WWDC. Or maybe the other way around. I don't know, but no PB's at WWDC will be a nicely polished, styled, high-end riot with lots of flustered Mac geeks. :cool:

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
This report interestingly meets with the reports 1. from MacB and 2. from the opened Box report on Page 2.
I really expect them to call it PowerMac 970. Motorola has the trademark on the Gx names, AFAIR.
I can already see Steve at the keynote:
He pushes a button, and on the screen is written: "From 4 to 970" and the crowd will cheer an applaud for minutes! :D:cool:

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
Re: Powerbooks will be updated.

Originally posted by pyrotoaster
The Powerbooks will be updated at WWDC. Period.

Apple may very well have a trick up its sleeve for the Powerbooks, as they've been keeping a very agressive veil of secrecy over the impending update.

And arn, when did an AppleInsider post become accurate enough to be a front page rumor? (i.e. what do you know that we don't...? ;) )
It is a known fact there are a few people who post at AI who do have the inside scoop. This particular post is by one of those people.

Also, the same thread says "That there will be an aknowledgemnt of an updated powerbook and they will be available in Early-Mid July"

bellis1

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2003
Updates

Alright, just to have in writing for keepsakes. How can they not update the 15" to at least the Alu. It is a no brainer. Although as a recent 17" owner I will be upset but I just could not wait. For the 970 powermacs I think it is due, even on the low end. The powerbooks cannot be ready that quick can they? But it is the year of the powerbooks! I'm waiting in excitement but am expecting at least a little let down as a new powerbook owner whether or not a new line is introduced. Keeping my fingers crossed; for what I am not sure.

Dunepilot

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2002
UK
With it being the 'year of the laptop' and all, it would be really good if they could get out a 970-powered 15" and 17" (assuming the footprint of the 970 could be shoehorned into a motherboard occupying the same dimensions in these powerbooks) at the same time (or close to) the announcement of the Powermacs, whenever that ends up coming.

The whole G4 era (debacle?) has seen Powerbook speeds lag behind those of the pro desktops, and this wasn't always the case (think back to the later days of the G3 where there wasn't that much of a MHz difference between the top Powerbook and top Powermac ). If Apple are serious about the year of the laptop, this would help them gain a lot of sales in what they acknowledge to be their main growth area.

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
Originally posted by Kid Red
It is a known fact there are a few people who post at AI who do have the inside scoop. This particular post is by one of those people.

Also, the same thread says "That there will be an aknowledgemnt of an updated powerbook and they will be available in Early-Mid July"
I might believe you if it weren't for the Powerbook price drops. The timing there was perfect for a WWDC annoucement.

There's a substantial pile of rumor-based evidence that supports a Powerbook update on Monday. I'm sticking with that.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
Despite being slightly confused on conflicting accounts of the thread...

I believe Apple will introduce new PowerBooks. i honestly can't imagine them not doing it (i may eat my own words). I along with SO MANY others are waiting for the 15 inch AlBook... it's just getting rediculus. Although, I have to be honest. I only want them to be introduced now because that means that the sooner they all get updated, the sooner Rev. B 15 inch PB 970's are available and THAT'S what i'm buying.

I hope this pans out and we are blown away...

PS i doubt any new hardware/software intros @ MWNY as Steve-O isn't doing a Keynote. Like he'd let someone else do an introduction? I doubt that. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.