Limited Quantities?

zackwhitman

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2011
I thought it said limited quantities? they aren't even sold out yet and its 10PM on the east coast. how fast did the iPad 2 sell out for preorders?

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
I didn't think the iPad 2 had preorders?

Not everyone shells out for an iPad every year. Yes it's popular, but it's also expensive.

I'm sure it'll sell out by tomorrow or Friday though.

Benz63amg

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2010
i remember the 4S Preorder sold out really quick man , but then again thats an iphone, much more affordable.

the ipad 3 will sell like hot cakes as well, its just a matter of time.

i think they prepared A LOT of stock for the preorders thats why they didn't sell out.

gwen1o

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2011
There were no preorders for the iPad 2.

Even though the website was crashing and/or very slow right after the Media Event ended, I believe the fact that they are not sold out for launch day deliveries speaks volumes for Mr. Cook and his crew. They obviously anticipated the demand and did their best to stock sufficient inventory.

I thought it said limited quantities? they aren't even sold out yet and its 10PM on the east coast. how fast did the iPad 2 sell out for preorders?

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
I personally think the huge demand for the iPad 2 that we saw last year means that a lot of people that want an iPad have already got one, the general public don't really seem fussed with having the latest and greatest (a bit different for us gadget geeks though). Either that or Apple has increased production substantially in preparation for the launch to try and avoid what happened last year, but still anticipating a shortage of some degree.

Photography

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
Here's a reply from an official Apple representative (via live chat) regarding selling out (it will NOT sell out online, but it will just extend the delivery date depending on when you place your order):

You: Is there a chance the pre-ordering online will sell out?

Michael G (Apple Representative): We'll continue to take pre-orders online regardless of the availability of iPads. The shipping time might increase if the amount currently available is depleted, but we should still continue taking orders.

You: So in other words, I can place a pre-order one week from now for the new iPad, and it will still be available for pre-order one week from now?

Michael G (Apple Representative): I can't say for sure if it'll be actually in stock to be available by the 16th, as I cannot predict how many people would order the iPad by one week from now. We'll still take the order, but the time that it might take to get it might increase depending on the availability.

bjmach

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2008
Here's a reply from an official Apple representative (via live chat) regarding selling out (it will NOT sell out online, but it will just extend the delivery date depending on when you place your order):
oh no you just opened a can of worms, now everyone is gonna worry lmao

icydog

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2008
NJ
I took me over30 minutes to order mine cause the site kept crashing. I think that's a strong indication there's a lot buying going on. I'll bet they sell out tonight for the March 16th date.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
I took me over30 minutes to order mine cause the site kept crashing. I think that's a strong indication there's a lot buying going on. I'll bet they sell out tonight for the March 16th date.
Apple web sites always crash (remember problems with Mobile Me, Siri etc.). It's an indication of their web incompetency rather than strong sales.

icydog

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2008
NJ
Apple web sites always crash (remember problems with Mobile Me, Siri etc.). It's an indication of their web incompetency rather than strong sales.
I don't know I have ordered a lot of iPads and computers on the Apple.com website and this is the first time it happened to me. All my 5 kids got iPads for Christmas and last year they all got MacBook Airs. I know --I'm crazy:confused:

ktmracer350

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2011
It's an indication of heavy traffic when the site is bogged down or is crashing which more then likely means strong sales.

note235

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2007
it took me over an hour and a half
kept crashing on iphone and laptop
didnt get confirmation yet

zackwhitman

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2011
yeah they never sell out, thats what happened last year too, just pushed it to 1-2weeks then 2-3 weeks, and then 3-4 weeks