Limited Quantities

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rmpaul211, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Rmpaul211 macrumors regular

Rmpaul211

curious, I have seen so many people with the X. Was that phone as limited as apple made it seem?? Or maybe that many people just didn’t want it. I know pre order was a hassle but going to Apple, Verizon and att in my area was how people were able to get their phones. I see so many people selling these phones for 1300 + some stores still have them in store and the shipping times for preorders are steadily going down. Did Apple do a good job this go around with amount of units made ?

2. Wolfmore macrumors member

Wolfmore

Yep, was’t all the talk about how Apple only delivered about half what they intended. I was able to call a store Saturday afternoon and they still had the iPhone X in stock. Norwest Arkansas.

And consider that so many people buying two so they can keep one and sell the other. Had people not been buying to resell we’d have even more still in stock.

Thinking about it this way seems to me this is not a great launch as they are taunting. Maybe lots of people really are not willing to spend the $1k plus.

This whole thing is starring to feel bleak to me for Apple. As for me personally I just want the iPhone X with NO Face ID staring at $700

3. allthingsapple! macrumors regular

A lot of people keep saying “Apple”. Apple never said stock would be limited. Analysts predicted that and we all believed it but Apple is not to blame for that. I think Apple knew this would be a hot item so they made as many units as they could.

4. MacDevil7334 macrumors 65816

MacDevil7334

Given how Apple’s stock has performed in the past few days, I think it’s safe to say most people do not share that assessment. More likely is the supply just ended up being better than the supply chain rumors had suggested. I went by my local Apple store yesterday around 11 and there were around 50 people waiting in line to buy an X (on the day after launch). There’s plenty of demand for this phone!

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I just posted this in another thread, but I was able to order online with local pickup at my local Verizon store Friday morning.

The funny (sad?) part is that I walked by my local Apple store and hundreds of people who had camped out for day(s) hoping to get one. I simply ordered it from my office and got it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

6. eneisch macrumors 6502a

They were widely available for in store pickup in the NYC area yesterday morning, but were out of availability by the afternoon and are not available this morning. Wonder if they will keep being available or if the in store stock will dry up. It is weird that you could get them in store pretty easily, but the wait for online delivery is 3-4weeks..

7. Jjayf macrumors 6502

There is lots of evidence that the X release was successful, and that the reports of production issues and limited supply was fake news and rumours.

Examples of success

Online stores were flooded to the point that they crashed.
    People had issues with activation due to congestion
    Release day lineups exceeded store stock in most places.
    No carriers in my area have stock.

Examples of erroneous reports of production issues

Online orders with distant delivery have been improved
    Lots of happy people on MR

Due to market saturation and improved preordering, I think the days of feeding frenzy release day mobs at Apple stores are gone. Thanks in part to naysayers, haters, and fake news, as well as the advance release of the 8 series, people weren't worked up into panic mode as has been the case in the past. 1000+ price tag is not for everyone..

8. democracyrules macrumors 6502a

I was able to do the online store pick up as well from Verizon on Friday morning for my other line in addition to get the other phone delivered on Friday as well. Apple did very well for the X launch. The price itself helps to have stocks available on the launch day and the day after as I was able to do the store pick up at the Apple store for my other line as well. Awesome launch.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 5, 2017 ---
    Your comment nails it. Awesome comment, fact and true.
    I second this. When I picked up iPhone X yesterday, I saw around 60 people online just to check if the store had iPhone X stock. Thankfully, those who ordered online for the store pick up were placed on the other line, which only had two people including myself. Awesome coordination. Kudos to Apple .

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Agreed, it was probably one of the smoother launches, especially given the pent up excitement and demand.

10. PM-Performance macrumors 6502

From what I saw locally because I needed to venture out in the wild since ATT screwed the pooch on my order (Still shows for delivery for the 3rd)

Some local and stores about an hour from me said they did not get ANY phones! Some didnt know if they were even getting any.
    Now that the Apple store opened up stock counts, i was able to snag a 256GB, Silver, ATT at the store. Reservation setup in the next 2 hours to pick up. Now going back and looking at the stock i think I grabbed the only one, or they sold out again that quick

11. macfacts macrumors 68040

macfacts

The low supply was fake so Apple could sell the iPhone X for a higher price while selling the iPhone 8 at "normal" price.

12. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

They got stock daily but it’s still limited.

13. Diorama macrumors 6502a

14. maka344 macrumors 65816

maka344

It is for iUP users thankfully. This was an hour ago.

Attached Files:

15. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

So what do you think of the X?

16. Rmpaul211 thread starter macrumors regular

Rmpaul211

That would’ve been great!!! I didn’t even set up the Face ID. I just use the passcode
    That’s what I did essentially. I messed preorder got up Friday morning and bought my phone from Verizon no hassle no line.
    I don’t think the phone is worth the price tag. I’ve literally played with my 6 and the X and I honestly just don’t see the reason for the price jump. It’s a solid well built phone. I’m not impressed with the oled screen, I don’t use the Face ID, and I haven’t used the animojis yet