Limited Read and Writes on MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by rekhyt, Apr 13, 2012.

1. rekhyt macrumors 65816

Just thought of a concern on the MacBook Air. Flash drives / SSDs have limited read and write capacity, right?

How do I know when I am reaching that? I don't want my data to be corrupted.

Thanks in advance.

2. bogatyr macrumors 65816

I'm not sure there is any warning. I do know I have a couple 256GB SSDs that are a couple years old and have crazy amounts of writes completed - filled up many times over, full disk encryption, etc and they're still chugging along. Those were Crucial C300s. My MBA laptops are too new so I can't really comment on their SSDs.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Beyond the life of your MBA tbh.

4. rekhyt thread starter macrumors 65816

Well I do lots of read and write-intensive operations. I copy a lot of data (Movies, DSLR photos, ...) so I was just worried about that.

What are the warning symptoms of the limit?

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Assuming the flash drive in an Air uses 25nm NAND (I believe it does), these chips will last 3,000 write cycles to each cell on the NAND chip. You are not likely to hit that limit for many years.

Even if you start to hit that limit, the drive's firmware will just mark a cell as unusable and skip over it. It is not like one day all of a sudden the drive won't work.

If you do some Google searches there are a few articles on this showing if you write XX... amount of data each day a flash drive will last YYY years.

6. bogatyr macrumors 65816

Based on Weaselboy's comments, I googled it and found this in the first result:
    Keep in mind, this is a single sample drive
    http://www.storagereview.com/ssd_performance_review_270tb_written

7. 2IS macrumors 68030

You still have nothing to worry about.

Reads are unlimited theoretically, it's the writes that has a finite amount but even then, its nothing you should really concern yourself with. I've written 1.56TB to my SSD in my desktop PC and i'm still at 100% health.

8. rekhyt thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks all for the replies.

How do you check the health of your SSD?

9. 2IS macrumors 68030

Not sure how to do it in OSX but there are utilities from the drive manufacturers as well as 3rd party utilities for windows. I used a program called Crystal Disk Info