Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has picked up a limited series based on the story of WeWork for Apple TV+, according to a new report from Variety. The upcoming show is based on the six-part Wondery podcast called "WeCrashed: The Rise and Fall of WeWork."

wework.jpg

WeWork in early 2019 was valued at close to $50 billion as it prepared for an IPO, but the company crashed and burned after a series of articles highlighted mismanagement and odd behavior from CEO Adam Neumann, who was quickly ousted. WeWork's IPO was canceled and the company's valuation plunged to $5 billion.

From the podcast that the show is based on:
The founders of WeWork thought they were on the brink of making history. The company was valued at $47 billion dollars, it was ready for a huge IPO, and its charismatic CEO Adam Neumann thought it was going to change the world. Adam had a prophet-like vision for WeWork that he sold to some of the world's savviest investors -- but did his vision ever match the company's reality? Hosted by David Brown of the hit podcast Business Wars, WeCrashed is a six-part series about the rise and fall of WeWork. It's a story of hope and hubris, big money and bigger screwups, and the lengths people will go to chase "unicorns."
Lee Eisenberg, known for Apple TV+ show "Little America," is co-writing and executive producing the series alongside former Warner Bros. executive Drew Crevello, who has produced films like "The Grudge 2."

Article Link: Limited Series Based on Downfall of WeWork Coming to Apple TV+

Reactions: Ar40

Ar40

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2017
This looks promising! Little America was top notch, and so far Apple is 1/1 with their documentary shows (Visible was great. I was shocked that I liked it, for various reasons). I expect Beastie Boys to make that 2 for 2. Bring on the documentaries!

• Disagree
Reactions: ipponrg

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
May 27, 2014
Apple TV+ has a lot of great content. if Apple keeps it up, they will be the next HBO.
No way. To get anywhere near that you need to develop a catalogue of programming. Apple has a very small slice of original content compared to HBO. If Apple wants to be a media company they have to go all in on developing a lot of shows to feed the beast and consumers that are chewing through the content available. HBO has such a deep catalogue it’s going to take Apple a very long time to catch up.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
No way. To get anywhere near that you need to develop a catalogue of programming. Apple has a very small slice of original content compared to HBO. If Apple wants to be a media company they have to go all in on developing a lot of shows to feed the beast and consumers that are chewing through the content available. HBO has such a deep catalogue it’s going to take Apple a very long time to catch up.

HBO doesn’t have that much new stuff at any given time. Sure, we can go back and watch old sopranos or sex in the city’s or whatnot, but few people subscribe to HBO for that.

Trhodezy

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2010
HBO doesn’t have that much new stuff at any given time. Sure, we can go back and watch old sopranos or sex in the city’s or whatnot, but few people subscribe to HBO for that.

I agree. I just came to point out that It’s Sex and the City. “In the city” is a common misconception. :)

entropys

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
Yes, but at least there is more stuff to watch. With Apple tV+, you might binge for a week, then you stop visiting cause you have seen what you wanted to, then it becomes so long between drinks you forget to ever go back.

rizzo41999

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2009
MA
Serious question. For those whom subscribe to Apple TV+, are you enjoying it? Are there enough “‘mature”programs?

Considering subscribing. Thanks for your thoughts!

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Serious question. For those whom subscribe to Apple TV+, are you enjoying it? Are there enough “‘mature”programs?

Considering subscribing. Thanks for your thoughts!
Almost all of the programs are “mature.”

Some are better than others, depending on your taste. I enjoyed mythic quest the most - excellent comedy. For All Mankind was very entertaining. See was “eh” for me, but I did watch the whole season. The Morning Show got better as the season progressed.

Again, your mileage may vary.

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
A company worth 5 billion which still has little novel about their product and can be easily crowded out of the market. It’s valuation was always ridiculous. Just people who didn’t understand lease agreements getting hyped about Silicon Valley “discovering” an old industry and making it a little smoother. There is good money in that but not revolutionary money.

Reactions: djgamble

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
A company worth 5 billion which still has little novel about their product and can be easily crowded out of the market. It’s valuation was always ridiculous. Just people who didn’t understand lease agreements getting hyped about Silicon Valley “discovering” an old industry and making it a little smoother. There is good money in that but not revolutionary money.

Ehh idk. WeWork is very successful. They’re definitely the largest co-working space company. I’m not sure how much money they make, but they’re all over the world and open new locations all the time.

Either way, I’m very interested in this series and can’t wait to see it.
[automerge]1582911891[/automerge]
Might watch it... I've seriously never heard of wework hahaha

Where do you live? There are so many of them. Not totally surprising though. I only heard of it because the CEO went to my college and my friends worked in WeWork buildings.

nylonsteel

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2010
"Hosted by David Brown of the hit podcast Business Wars, WeCrashed..."
wecrashed is a funny name
man 50 billion at ipo
i wouldn't put a bet on the company concept of shared work space
thats already being done for free at starbucks

Ronlap

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2007
San Francisco Bay Area
In a nutshell, WeWork (WW) was a re-hash of Regus, which grew spectacularly, partially flamed out, and then settled into a low-margin office-for-rent business. Anyone who couldn't see that WW was just a redo was either blind, was desperate to launder money or just wanted to suck up to Adam Neumann.

Reactions: BWhaler

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003

I hear ya, but remember HBO has been at this for 40 years—Apple 2-3. And Apple just hired the mastermind from HBO who built it into the content powerhouse it is. It’s clearly their strategy, and they have the money and will to do it. Time will tell...

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
Woah, a perfect example of the idiocy of stock market gambling, where an entity became big for no reason, peeked, and crashed so fast that I never encountered a single reference to it until just now during the mention of a freakin’ dramatization of the event.

Utter madness.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Can you explain how being successful requires a major bailout from SoftBank?

You’re right you’re right. Successful in terms of how many locations they have and their culture. But yeah obviously they can’t be THAT successful with a bailout and all of this controversy.

djgamble

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
Ehh idk. WeWork is very successful. They’re definitely the largest co-working space company. I’m not sure how much money they make, but they’re all over the world and open new locations all the time.

Either way, I’m very interested in this series and can’t wait to see it.

Outside the USA.

I read up on it after reading my initial post. Sounds like there's alternatives doing the same thing all around the world and this is just an American company that was temporarily over-valued and failed to go global. Be interesting to hear some analysis of what led people to speculate it'd be bigger given it's hardly a failed venture (was simply over-hyped).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.