limited user capacity after installing bigger HD

Discussion in 'macOS' started by grum, Jun 12, 2007.

1. grum macrumors regular

Hi - I cloned my Macbook HD onto an external HD, and installed a new HD - it all works fine, apart from under my user name, there is still showing only the capacity of the old disk. On 'get info' on the HD itself it shows the full capacity, but when trying to move stuff into user folders like the music folders it tells me there is not enough room, even though there is 50 gigs free on the disk. The 'user' folder still seems to think it is limited to the capacity of the old disk, is there some way of changing this bar reinstalling osx?

thanks

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

3. grum thread starter macrumors regular

think it was carbon copy cloner

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

In Disk Utility, click on your drive and then select the Partition tab. What does it say there about your available space? :)

5. grum thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the response. It says there is 149 gigs capacity, which is right for a 160 gig drive.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, I'm not sure how this came about, but maybe create a new user account and manually transfer your current user across.

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Hmm, it almost sounds like you've ended up with a disk quota. Has the system ever been connected to a workgroup (OS X Server)?

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I was thinking the same thing, but I don't know how to work around it. :eek:

9. grum thread starter macrumors regular

Nope - I have a wireless network at home but not an OSX server.

So what, create a new user account then copy the applications folder etc into the new one. Can you get at the folders of another user? Sorry I am pretty new to Macs.

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well strictly speaking your apps shouldn't be in your Home (user) folder. If you're having trouble with the Applications folder then the new user option won't help. However, if the Applications folder still gives you all the space you're meant to have, then you could migrate your files by dragging them into the Shared folder, creating a new account, and then copying them from the Shared folder to the new account. Direct access to another user is possible but this option is easier and faster.

11. grum thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry yeah you are right, the apps folder is fine for space and outside the home folder. When i create a new account though, applications that require authorisation are asking for it again. Is there somewhere this information is stored where i can copy it over, or do i need to start again? Also, what folders will i need to copy over to the new user to make sure i have everything, apart from the obvious documents, music, movies etc?

Thanks very much for the help.

12. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I'll be honest mate, I don't know where your system is keeping the data that makes it think it's limited in size. In terms of transferring files, the Documents, Music and Pictures folders are all a good start. Also get Movies, Desktop and then in the Library, get your Preferences folder if you want to retain some of your customised settings. All of these files are in your Home folder, remember. :)