Limited viewing angle!?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by shady825, Oct 16, 2008.

1. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

For everyone complaining about the limited viewing angle, I don't see what you are talking about! I have NO problem viewing the screen at any angle I've had it at so far. I think the screen is great! I just returned a white MacBook for the new one and i dont see any difference on the viewing angle what so ever.

Just my input

2. arthursiew macrumors 6502

arthursiew

In my opinion, I find the new MacBook's screen a lot better than the old lineup.

3. lantheria macrumors newbie

i don't understand why it's an issue. maybe i'm crazy but i tend to look straight forward at the computers i use. :p

4. shady825 thread starter macrumors 68000

shady825

Thats what I've been thinking all along! What random angles are these people trying to use there computer from!? haha!

5. shady825 thread starter macrumors 68000

shady825

I agree 100%!
    I just returned a white MB for this aluminum one so I've had the pleasure of using both! :)

6. DMC-12 macrumors 6502

DMC-12

How long had you had the white one?

7. BoingoBongo macrumors regular

It's funny, I didn't even realize my old white MacBook had a "limited viewing angle" until I read these threads, and was like, "Oh dang!"

I think some people are just uber picky (not that there's anything wrong with that considering how much these things cost).

8. shady825 thread starter macrumors 68000

shady825

I had it just under 2 weeks so i was still able to do the Best Buy exchange/return..
    They seriously didnt even see if the computer worked!!! They opened the box, saw it was there and then shut the box. NO questions asked!! I have to say it was one of the more pleasant times i've had with Best Buy!

9. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

look, this viewing angle issue is really serious for me as i have a debilitating spinal condition that forces me to shift my body to the right and my neck to the left
    this is outrageous that apple would mac a laptop that is clearly discriminating against me!!!
    :mad:

10. Mografi macrumors newbie

The viewing angle is severely limited, like, even at the ideal angle (straight on?) the bottom and top have a different wash then the middle of the screen.

There is either viewing angle problems or light leak from the bottom of the panel.

The color shifts at the poorer viewing angles, as well as the blacks.....they shift very blue.....I have a macbook air and the viewing angles are way better as well as the color and contrast.....more in line with the macbook pros......its not unusable.....but you can definitely tell where they saved some money....

Also, the screen seems as much as 40% darker than the macbook air (at full brightness)......I'm assuming this is to conserve battery life....but still.

I would not trust it to do any photoshop work or anything where color fidelity matters even a tiny bit.....it's going to be very deceptive.

I am really sad too, I guess I got spoiled by my macbook air......I was hoping the new macbook would replace it, but now I'm not so sure.

11. LedCop macrumors regular

LedCop

I feel the same way. :(

For the old line-up, I compared the MacBook, MacBook Pro and MacBook Air screens and the MacBook screens seemed less vivid and more washed out compared to even the matte MacBook Pro screens despite glossy screens being commonly thought to have richer colours.

So while I thought the size and specs of the MacBook were good enough for me, the screen really pushed me to MacBook Pro territory.

I was hoping that with the MacBooks being upgraded to LED backlit screens like the MacBook Air that the new MacBooks would then share the wonderful, brilliant screen with the Air.

Alas, after inspecting both new products first hand, my opinion is that the new MacBook screens still can't compare the MacBook Pro screens (dunno about the Air).

The problem is that (judging from the user testimonials above) most casual users won't be as demanding of the screen so Apple can put a lesser screen into the general consumer MacBook and save money there to price it accordingly.

Have a look for yourselves: http://gizmodo.com/5063492/macbook-and-macbook-pro-dual-review

I want a MacBook with the Air's screen. :(

12. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

haha post of the day! "Oh dang!" :D

if your the only one looking at it then who cares? but my new Plasma which has a vewing angle of 170 degrees (same as MBP) is pretty damn nice as people sit around it.

13. Darkroom Guest

Darkroom

im sure apple purposefully wanted to make your life harder when they were designing the computer. :rolleyes:

but viewing angle is important for any design work... often if the viewing angle is poor, it's also effected even if your sitting right in front... most people just can't see it though...

14. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

Sorry but from my experience with the new MB I do not feel the same as you do. My best recommendation is for any potential buyers go to the nearest store selling the MB and look for yourself. I did and I ran several tests and I did not come to the same conclusions. YMMV I guess.

15. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

It would be hard for the screens to be any worse than the old LED-backlit MBPs. I've been through 3 screens and now it's just about acceptable.

Search on here for the yellowing issue if you're unaware of this issue.

16. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

Yep, not only that but both the MBP and MBA have problems with dark vertical bars and blotches. I went thru several MBAs before I found one that didn't have dark blotches. When trying to find a MBA without blotches I found that Apple uses several different manufacturers for the display. Some displays had better viewing angles than others and some displays also had better contrast and colors. So saying the MBA display is better than the MB is tough to say, because you don't know what display you're going to get. The one thing I can say with little doubt is that the MBP displays are the best of the three. What I can also say is that the MBP display is not the best notebook display available. So if you use the criteria stated in some of the posts above no one doing critical photo work should use a portable Mac. That doesn't sound good does it?

17. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Yeah, totally outrageous:rolleyes: Apple is clearly discriminating against you, time for a class action law suit! anyone?...anyone?