limited warranty-will it cover this?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sarahmarie, Oct 15, 2010.

1. sarahmarie macrumors newbie

so, my macbook pro was sitting on my chair one day as i jumped up to answer a knock at the door..and sadly, fell off. only about 2ft from the ground, it must of hit on the unibody corner, because now the lid DOES not close completely. when i close it, it floats about an inch above being completely shut. this is SO frustrating to me!!!

will my limited warranty cover this? what do you think they will do?
    i'm just so confused. i'll have to drive nearly an hour to get to an apple store and don't want to waste my time.

also..my Y key is broken. it pops up on the right side constantly, and is such a peeve. my mbp also has been reading the CPU as 110 degrees f..is this bad? is this something i should bring up? it's been making noises lately but i'm not sure if this is anything to be concerned about since i'm fairly new to macs.

i've only had my mbp since june! this is quite upsetting.

okay, sorry for the rambling. i guess i'm just asking for advice when it comes to getting this fixed. what should i do? and will my warranty cover it?

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Warranties do not cover accidental damage: You can get it repaired by taking it to an Apple store but it will cost (quite a lot, probably). Your best option is to claim the cost of repair on your home insurance if it provides cover for your computer (talk to them first before doing anything else to see if they have special procedures in place you need to follow).
    Failing that, you will either have to live with it or pay for the repair

3. sarahmarie thread starter macrumors newbie

ugh.

do you have an estimate on what the repair may be? i don't have insurance, i'm in student housing.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The whole body needs to be replaced, my estimation is ~200$ but it's just a guess. You could call them beforehand to ask how much would it cost.

110f for CPU is completely normal, if it was 110c (230f) then you should be worried.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yep, you're SOL, apple's warranties do not cover accidental damage.

6. PhelpsiPhan macrumors 6502

PhelpsiPhan

I work in an apple service centre, and that is one crazy job to fix, without pictures i cannot tell for sure, but i would guess Topcase, bottom case and display (possibly logic board) Over 1200 would be my guess.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The case is going to cost a fortune.

Since it's made of aluminium, and aluminium is one of the softest metals on the planet, I've seen people post here who have said they have been able to fix a dent by being able to bend (lightly pound?) the corner back into place. I don't know if he had to heat it up or something, but I suggest you google that and read carefully.

8. Jasonx82 macrumors member

I had a simliar (actually the exact same) situation, the estimate was 1100 + just for the top (was told they cannot just replace the aluminum cover over the LCD, they have to replace the whole screen even if the screen is working fine. the Bottom panel including keyboard is aroudn 450.00). It may be better just to learn to live with it or buy a new one. And NO warranty will not cover it Since it shows physical damage they will deny all claims even if it was a manufacturing defect.