Limited WiFi connectivity in Windows 8 (Cold booting doesn't work)

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Brandon263, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Brandon263 macrumors 6502

My WiFi in Windows 8 (I have a MBA 2013) isn't working, even though it wasn't working before. I've trouble troubleshooting the problem and I've also tried shutting down the computer and rebooting, but nothing is working.

Please help!

2. Brandon263 thread starter macrumors 6502

3. DualShock macrumors 6502

I had the same problem on my 2013 MacBook Air, but unfortunately I wasn't able to find a solution. When cold booting into Windows 8, the wifi didn't work. When booting into OS X then rebooting into Windows 8, the wifi worked.

I also noticed another side effect:
    Intel VT-x was *disabled* when rebooting into Windows 8, but was *enabled* when cold booting, with the same wifi behavior as I just mentioned. So it's either I have wifi, or slow virtual machines. :rolleyes:

Apple did just release an EFI update yesterday, which I haven't tried yet. Maybe that will help?

4. DualShock macrumors 6502

5. TPadden macrumors 6502a

Strange behavior..... any USB drive connected kicks me off the Network and Wifi won't connect until I disconnect the USB device. Probably a security feature of Windows 8 but I can't figure it out.

Still happens after the EFI update ....