Limited Xcode templates

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by mike619, Jan 28, 2010.

1. mike619 macrumors newbie

I have Xcode 3.2.1 and from what i've seen in tutorial youtube videos, my version seems to be missing some templates. I was trying to get to "Command line utility" and then to "C++ tool," but the number of templates i have to choose from seems limited.

I'm under the impression that the newest/updated version of Xcode eliminated a few things. Can anyone tell me how i would go about creating a simple C++ program for my class assignment. I'd really like to use Xcode as opposed to another IDE.

Heres a screen shot of what im faced with:

[​IMG]

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

2. szymczyk macrumors regular

You're on the right path. The screenshot you posted is how you create a simple C++ program in Xcode 3.2. Select Command Line Tool and choose C++ from the Type pop-up menu.

3. mike619 thread starter macrumors newbie

I still consider myself a beginner at programming w/ C++.

What does does the "stdc ++" part mean next to C++ in the drop down menu shown in my screen shot? That any different than if i were to pick the "c++ tool" with the older version of Xcode?

4. szymczyk macrumors regular

Choosing C++ from the Type menu is the same as the C++ Tool project in earlier versions of Xcode. It creates a project for writing simple, command-line C++ programs. This is the project you want if you're using Xcode to learn C++.

The stdc++ means the project uses Standard C++, which is what you want if you're learning C++.

5. mike619 thread starter macrumors newbie