limiting files included in time machine?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dread, Aug 27, 2011.

1. dread macrumors 6502a

Hello,
    I just purchased my first mac, 13/256 air and would like to know if it is possible to prevent time machine from backing up certain files. I have movies that I move on and off the mac and do not want them backed up as it will eventually make my time machine back up huge. My movies are already backed up on my NAS. If this is not possible can you suggest an alternative? Is there any easy way to delete files from time machine?

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

In the Time Machines preferences, you can click Options and press the + symbol and select any files, folders, or drives you wish to exclude. It's highly recommended that you first select the System folder (It's located on the highest level of your drive) and exclude that. It will prompt if you wish to exclude all System files, select yes.

3. dread thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks for the quick reply. Why do I want to exclude system files

4. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

It will save 5+ gigs of space on your Time Machine drive. These files are completely unnecessary to backup considering they will simply be replaced in the case you get a new Mac or reinstall. The System files just come preinstalled. It's like taking your old steering wheel to put in your new car.

The Applications you've installed are in Applications and all of your personal data and settings are saved in your User/Home folder. Nothing that you save or own is in System.

5. dread thread starter macrumors 6502a

great, I was able to exclude the movies and such and already saved 70 gigs. Does time machine back up my programs so that if I did exchange my computer all I would have to do is restore it.

6. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

If you do not exclude the Applications folder, absolutely.

As I said, everything that you (the user) owns is either in Applications or your Users/Home folder.

I've done a dozen Time Machine restores. Besides having to re-enter the key for Doom 3, there is absolutely nothing noticeably different after restoring.

7. dread thread starter macrumors 6502a

great that is wonderful. Thank you for the help. Oh I am having trouble finding the system files. I am using lion so I think they are hidden somewhere.

8. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Not at all. In the browser that appears when you choose the + symbol, there is a pull-down menu at the top. Your hard drive should be listed under there (Macintosh HD by default. It's an icon of a hard disk drive). Simply select that drive and System should be visible. Select it and click Exclude.

9. dread thread starter macrumors 6502a

great thanks again. That was a big help. Still trying to learn all these tricks on the mac.