Limiting one computer's connection speed on a network

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dllavaneras, Jul 10, 2010.

1. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

My home network consists of three computers connected via a Linksys wired router. Is there any way to limit (or disable) the connection speed to a particular computer? I'd like to be able to selectively limit/disable the connection, without having to remove the ethernet connection on said computer.

Any tips? I can access the router status and enable/disable the connection for the entire network, but I can't seem to selectively limit/disable a particular connection.

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

A standard/average router can't usually do this. You need a router with traffic shaping options. I think Linksys calls it Quality of Service or QOS. See if you have a tab for that.

3. dllavaneras thread starter macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

No, I don't have a tab for that. The tabs I do have are: Setup, Password, Status (where I can enable/disable the connection for the entire network), DHCP, Log, Security, Help and Advanced. My advanced options are Filters, Forwarding, Dynamic Routing, Static Routing, DMS Host and MAC Addr. Clone.

I'm almost certain the previous Network Admin was able to do this, although he never mentioned how. I'm now a quite clueless network admin by necessity.

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I did a quick google image search. This is sort of what you are looking for. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

[​IMG]

5. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

I think this article about traffic shaping functionality included with OS X might be of help to you.

For example, I currently use a rule like this

Code:
    ipfw pipe 1 config bw 520KByte/s
    ipfw add 1 pipe 1 src-port 80
    to limit my http-traffic to 520kByte/s, because otherwise, fast downloads will make AirTunes over wifi have dropouts.