Line 6 Device for iOS and OS X?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by taylord22, May 11, 2014.

1. taylord22 macrumors regular

Hi everyone. I'm dusting off the guitars and looking to re-sharpen some of what I lost. In doing so, I thought it might be cool to check out what my options were with GarageBand. Jamming with a pair of headphones on the CPU with some tabs in front of me seemed like a great way to speed things up.

...and then I found out there's no easy way of plugging my guitar into either of my newer Apple CPUs.

This lead me to go see what old trusty, Line 6, had in the way of connection options. I see that they've got some new, extremely affordable POD Studios, as well as the Sonic Port. I was ready to pull the trigger on a SonicPort until I realized it would only work on my iPad/iPhone. Seemed silly to cut my iMac out of the equation, so I checked to see if the POD Studios would work with my iOS devices...and that doesn't seem to be the case.

POD Farm is something I would like to have, so is there anything out there that would allow me to connect to my iMac and iPad? And still have access to POD Farm?

I'm primarily looking to just play along to some of my favorite tunes and play around with some tones.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. pdjudd macrumors 601

I don’t know the cost of the product you reference, but I would recommend the Apogee Jam. Works on OSX, and iOS devices and they tend to be really good quality but they tend to be a bit pricy.

Without knowing relative price for products like these, I don’t know how reasonable it is, but if you are just looking for an interface, I think the Jam is perfect for your needs.

Link

3. Gozar macrumors regular

Gozar

I was in the same boat and also wanted to let my daughter use a microphone so I went with the IK Multimedia iRig Pro. It accepts a 1/4 in jack from a stringed instrument, XLR for mic or even MIDI if you want.

MSRP is $149 and it includes a lighting & 30-pin cable for iOS and a USB cable for Mac use.

Been pretty happy so far, although my fingers are sore...:eek:

It's worth checking IK Multimedias website to see the software they offer. I like Line 6 stuff but wanted the flexibility of iPad & my Mac Mini.
    http://www.amazon.com/IK-Multimedia-90036-iRig-PRO/dp/B00C68MZXE
    http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigpro/