Line 6 or Blue Microphones?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jigsb007, Jul 24, 2013.

1. jigsb007 macrumors 6502

hello..
    i am looking for some solution on digital recording..
    here is my senerio...
    There are some videos recoarded on my DVR, and I want to just record Audio of it.
    earlier i used to use my Macbook which had line-in and it was very easy to record and make audio files...since i have sold that laptop, i am looking for another way.

So, i have found Line 6 and Blue Mic. by Mikey. it looks like it can connect to your iphone/ipad and it has line-in, so what i have understood , if i connect 3.5mm audio out from my DVR, i could record audio using some App....correct???

I need some suggestation on it...bcoz the price is an issue..
    Line 6 is $50 and Mikey is $99 ( Amazon $70 ).

What are your suggestations...!!!
    thanks

2. 7enderbender macrumors 6502a

7enderbender

I'm not fully clear what you are trying to accomplish there in the end but there may actually be a cheaper way. One would be to simply connect the DVR's line-out to the audio-in of your iPhone with a basic 3.5mm stereo cable on both ends. Levels will be off but that can usually be adjusted on the output device, input device or both.

And if you really want to use a microphone to record audio simply use the one in the iPhone. It's pretty good for what it is and most likely the results will not be any different than the ones from those bottom line Blue or Line6 mics. Don't those have USB outs anyway? If so the iPhone/iPad route wouldn't work anyway without a computer.

Better approach yet might be to look into some designated audio interface for iOS such as iRig, Line6 Mobile or JamUp and such. The latter is probably the cheapest way to get the correct line levels.

3. jigsb007 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your reply..
    i have some lacture recoarded intomy DVR, and i want to just get the audio out, so i can listen on the go on my iphone or CD.

i still have to try by putting 3.5 mm jack on both the side, but it might not work. and if that even works, then i think it will b only Mono audio.
    I really dont know how mono will sound like..

But, i have just picked up Line6 from guiter center ( $39) you can hook it up on the lightning connector and it has Line-in. so what i assume , if i connect 3.5mm jack to line6 (line-in) then i think thru garage band i can get my lectures recoarded...