Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dewdman42

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2008
How can I add line break in between bullet points in an iOS Mail app?? On the Mac I can do this with CTRL-RETURN, and some other apps tend to use SHIFT-RETURN for adding line breaks inside RTF text….but I cannot figure out any way at all to do this in iOS mail app, nor any third party app that I tried. I have MagicKeyboard which has CTRL key and OPTION key..but I tried all the various options, none of them work they all just act like paragraph break no matter what I do.

Is this really not possible on an ipad to put space between bullet points?

Actually I can’t figure out a way to add line breaks in any iOS app…. just tried with OneNote…and nothing can do it that I can find. I can edit them that way on the Mac and they will show up on the ipad with the line breaks, but there is now way with the keyboard or any other way that I can find to insert line breaks into a text edit field of any kind in iOS…. Unless someone knows a secret trick to do it?

Last edited:

hg.wells

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2013
A quick google search shows this

How to Add Line Breaks Using iOS / iPadOS Keyboard​

In order to add a line break, simply bring up the iOS keyboard, hold down the 'Shift' key and then press the 'Return' key at the same time. Refer to the screenshot below to see which two keys we are talking about here.

Dewdman42

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2008
Yes I already found that post, its not correct, it does not work. Maybe Apple changed iOS since then I don't know. I'm on iOS15. Did you actually try it? Is there some setting I need to enable to make it work?

this is my first iPad, but the above post does not work. Shift-Return performs exactly the same action as without shift in all apps I have tried, and I have tried a bunch.

So far the only apps I can find that can insert line break is Pages...and not with a keycomand but its possible to click on an icon and choose "line break" from the list of available things, along with page break and some other ones. So theoretically I could compose my emails in Pages...which honestly...is a serious dissapointment from Apple

Dewdman42

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2008
No I didn’t find a way but I haven’t tried the mentioned key commands in a while and I’m on IOS 17 now. I will try later again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.