Line In not working

Discussion in 'macOS' started by callmemike20, Jun 2, 2008.

1. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

I just downloaded skype, and for some reason, I cannot use my headset as my input device. I set it as the default in the sound settings, but when I talk, the bars don't go up. I also set my headset as the default in skype, and that doesn't work either.

Only my internal mic works.

I want to use my headset so that I can use the control on the cord to mute and control my mic.

Any help is appreciated...thanks.

2. sOwL macrumors 6502

sOwL

The mac's line in doesnt work like the usual pc's line ins. Let me explain:
    Normally, you would just plug the green wire to the lineout and the pink one to the linein. The line in though doesnt give any power to the mic. Its designed for "professional use", and it will only work if an amplifier is conneted between the mic and the mac. I had the same problem and i just bought a set of usb headphones (which they all just have an amplifier built-in, and they get power through usb). It will cost you more, but thats the way things are. hope i helped

3. callmemike20 thread starter macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

Thanks. Mine is actually USB as well. It came with a little connector. I just didn't want to use it because i already have my 2 USB ports used up. If I can find a decent bluetooth mouse, then I can free one up.

4. stana2z macrumors newbie

stana2z

USB Hub?

Why not use a USB hub instead? It's probably cheaper than a Bluetooth mouse.

5. callmemike20 thread starter macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

Too many cords and connections. I actually have a belkin 7 port hub that works and looks great with my mbp, but I actually never used it. I think a bluetooth mouse, firewire hard drive, and a bluetooth headset would be nice. Anyone have any experience with the motorola bluetooth headphones (I know they don't have a mic, I was just wondering).

6. sOwL macrumors 6502

sOwL

just free one to test if your headphones work and if they do, you can expand them with some kind of usb hub