Line-in on Retina mac?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by beardymouse, Jun 12, 2012.

1. beardymouse macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I'm looking to get the new Macbook, but need a line-in port.

The Apple site is a bit confusing, the tech specs on the Retina say:

Stereo speakers
    Dual microphones
    Headphone port
    Support for Apple iPhone headset with remote and microphone
    Support for audio line out

Which suggests the Macbook doesn't support a line-in - even via the headphone jack. The old-style Macbook does seem to support it, saying:

Stereo speakers with subwoofer
    Omnidirectional microphone
    Combined audio line in/out (digital/analog)
    Support for Apple iPhone headset with remote and microphone

I really want the retina display, but need a line-in. The guys in the Apple store (London) didn't know and had no display units. Does anyone on here know whether the retina supports line-in or not?

2. wct097 macrumors 6502

I noticed that as well. I don't think it supports line-in. I use a headset with boom mic pretty regularly. I haven't seen any decent looking bluetooth headsets that fully cover your ears and offer a good mic, so that pretty much sucks for those of us considering a 15" Macbook Air.... I mean, Pro....

3. AzN1337c0d3r macrumors 6502

Can confirm that line-in functionality was removed in rMBP. The same problem exists in the MBP13 and the MBA line btw.

I think in an effort to make a laptop to appeal as much as possible to consumers (light, thin, and cheap), Apple is removing as much hardware as they possibly can and hoping that someone will provide the functionality via Thunderbolt for the professionals.