"Line in" Port on Macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Laurencia7, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Laurencia7 macrumors 6502

I am not sure how to use my Line in port,
    I tried plugging several 3.5 mm mics into it, and they don't record any audio. Do I need an adapter, or a special mic, or plug.
    Let me know. Thanks
    L

2. seb-opp macrumors 6502

line in volume is always low, so the signal coming in from your mic might be very low. In most cases you need an external preamp to boost the signal volume before plugging into the line in port.

Can you tell us what type of mic you're using?

also Im assuming you know how to set up the audio preferences to use an external mic?

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

No, any standard 3.5mm mic should work. Try opening System Preferences -> Sound -> Input, and seeing what shows up. It'll let you test the input volume too, may just need to raise the volume.

jW

4. Laurencia7 thread starter macrumors 6502

I am using several, but the one I am testing is a Audio-Technica 3350, is work everywhere else, you say I need to raise my input volume? I didn't want to peak the levels and ruin the mic

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

That's not going to happen. Of course, you have a graph to watch the input levels as you adjust, but if you peak the levels, you run the risk of distortion on the computer, but it doesn't affect the mic (since you're not adjusting them on the mic).

jW

6. Makosuke macrumors 603

Sound Preference Pane --> Select "Line In" from the list, and check the levels in the live display at the bottom of the window. Adjust input gain with the slider there until you're getting levels that look good.

Also, I don't know how you could possibly ruin a mic regardless of what you did, since that's a passive line-in port--there's no power, so nothing you do in terms of gain will have any direct effect on the mic.

You could do the opposite, however--if you had the gain really low, and were using the mic too close to the sound source to get the levels where you want them, it could eventually start to wear due to high sound pressure levels. I'd only expect that to be an issue with loud instruments over an extended period of time, though.

7. Laurencia7 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks I just tested it, and it is super low volume, even if gained all the way up. I guess the line in is not a good source of audio. i was just testing it anyway.