Line-In Woes

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by xylios, Apr 28, 2008.

1. xylios macrumors newbie

Hi All,
    I've looked around the internet for the answer to this one (this site included) I've seen this problem mentioned but the parameters are slightly different in my case - so here goes.

I have a Macbook (white) 2.2 Core Duo 2, 2GB ram the Line In port has previously worked with non powered headset microphones (This was the case because until I started reading up on the problem I was unaware that the Line In wouldn't work with unpowered mics) now it has stopped working. All of the other problems similar to this have involved either new installs of Leopard or MBP's and neither of those variables apply to me at this stage.

It appeared to have stopped working when I installed rogue amoeba's Audio Hijacker. When I next attempted to use the line in for a headset that had been previously working in the line in port (and since confirmed as working on other machines) I got nothing. I have checked the settings in System Preferences> Sounds>Input. When looking at the Input screen I can actually see the level fluctuate up and then back down in about a second while I insert the headset mic into the line in.

I have rolled back the Audio Hijacker software figuring it may have something to do with problem, this has done nothing. I have upgraded to 10.5.2 and this has changed nothing. I know a lot of people are saying in related articles that this is a leopard related problem but this can;t be the case this machine has always been a leopard install. I'm really stuck and need the line in as I run a small Wharfdale R-200 mixer into the line in for recording multiple people in podcasts. Any suggestions on anything I could try to rule out hardware failure before I have to take this one back to the store?

Thanks in Advance
    Xy

2. rezonat0r macrumors 6502

3. xylios thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply rezonat0r, but can you explain a little further. I'm still a bit of a Mac n00b having only picked up my first Mac in January.

Thanks again
    Xy

4. rezonat0r macrumors 6502

5. xylios thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks very much, so sorry to ask, but coming from a Windows background I would usually need to perform an fdisk and format the c: drive in DOS before reinstalling Windows. Two questions, first do I need to do some sort of Mac version of formatting drives before the reinstall or do I just insert the OS disc and follow the prompts? And secondly I assume if I reinstall the OS i will lose and files, installed programs etc I have on the machine.

Thanks again, very much for your help
    Xy

6. Help! macrumors regular

You can stick the OS disc in and then essentially follow the prompts. I believe your options are to erase everything and install from scratch, archive and install which saves everything in your home folder into a new folder, and (I think) there is an option that installs only the os files over themselves.

7. xylios thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks very much for your help, I will look into this tonight.

Thanks again guys
    Xy

8. rezonat0r macrumors 6502

Definitely back up your documents first, then put the OS X disc in and reboot. Hold the C key at the grey screen to boot from the disc. I don't know why the Apple document on "Archive and Install" doesn't mention that : /

You should be able to follow that document from there and end up with a fresh install of OS X, but with a directory on the drive that contains the "old" install, which you can delete when you're sure you don't need it.

Before you do this I'd recommend searching the web to see if anyone else has had problems uninstalling audio hijack as there may be a known fix. Of course reinstalling OS X is a last resort.

9. xylios thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks rezonat0r. I'll look into this and post my results.

10. xylios thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi there all,
    I followed the advise here in the forum but to no avail. I ultimately ended u backing everything up to an external drive and did a full erase and reinstall of the Mac OS. This didn't fix the problem so it definitely seems as if it's hardware related. I called Apple and the took me through PMU reset and PRAM reset, this didn't work so they have referred me to a local repairer.

I've taken it in explained the fault to them and wanted them to specifically note what processes and steps I'd had taken, the person at reception didn't seem to sure and I ended up filling out their in house fault paper work for them to show them everything that had taken place. This has left me a little nervous, they have advised that if I'm lucky and they have the part in house it should only take 1-5 Business days to repair...

*SIGH*

Well hopefully it'll be fixed, hopefully it'll be repaired under warranty (purchased this Macbook in January of this year) Unfortunately it's been a rough run with Hardware, this has been my first mac experience and in under 6 months of ownership I have had a faulty trackpad which resulted in the retailer replacing the macbook all together and now a couple of months later a faulty line in port. Everything else is great, but I'd advise anyone looking to buy a macbook to consider waiting for a hardware revision or pick up an iMac as there are obviously hardware issues related to the current Macbook series.

Thanks again to everyone who has helped out, once again you've shown that the Mac community is second to none.

Best
    Xy