Line Input for MBPR??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Magaman, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Magaman macrumors regular

So got my new Macbook Pro Retina and I must say it's really nice. Surprised about the number of apps I use that are already updated or at least look really good. A couple things are blurry but nothing major.

However one major thing that I need to solve is how do I get a line-input? I thought the headphone jack would double as both but it doesn't seem that is the case unless I'm doing something wrong.

Anyone have suggestions?? Something tells me I'm going to have to go the USB adapter route.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You will have to do USB. This is a feature that I think will be overlooked by many but not by people who need to record. I think it's absurd that they removed it, it was the selling point of going MBP over MB for some musicians I know. According to Apple they're only calling it a headphone jack so it appears there is no line-in.

Big, no huge, bummer.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

According to the specs:

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

He said line in.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Exactly. There's no mention of that in the specs, which was my point.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Well, it didn't read that way. ;) Sometimes it pays to add a couple of words even if they look like fluff. Or you could have easily said I was right. :D

7. OSMac macrumors 65816

I use the iMic on iPad guess it will get some use here too.

Strange that such a simple thing is missing from the top of line unit.

8. Magaman thread starter macrumors regular

I saw the whole iPhone headset mic thing, but does that mean the mic part works? Is there a 3.5 mm adapter to split out the out and input part? It is silly they didn't include a line in does a 3.5 mm jack tak up that much space?

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You're right. I'll say it: you're right! :D

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Of course I am. :)

11. oxfordguy macrumors 6502a

So does the Retina Macbook Pro support line in or not? The implication is not, but its not 100% clear...

12. Nate Hoffman macrumors newbie

No line input. It's a pro machine, and recording through the 1/8" jack on a laptop isn't a very "pro" thing to do.

13. oxfordguy macrumors 6502a

Okay, no worries, just wanted to confirm, its sometimes useful for the odd situation. My main audio interface is an Echo Audiofire 4 (i.e. http://www.echoaudio.com/Products/FireWire/AudioFire4/index.php ), so its not really a problem (once Apple release a Thunderbolt to Firewire adaptor, anyway...)

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Nope, doesn't look that way.
    Explain.

15. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

No one doing serious recording is going to record off an integrated sound chip's unbalanced 1/8" minijack. I thought the implication was pretty clear, actually. ;)

16. oxfordguy macrumors 6502a

Though on my current early 2008 MBP the line-in also doubles as a digital optical TOSLINK audio input, accepting up to 24-bit stereo and 44.1-96kHz sampling rate...

17. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Exactly.

My XLR, 1/4" and RCA inputs are all on my professional FireWire audio interface, which I simply connect to my rMBP by... uh... well I can't do that right now either. :(

18. Mac-Tech macrumors regular

Mac-Tech

The New Retina Mac Book Pro does not have Line in audio. It only has headphone jack. If you need to record audio using the audio line in jack then there are USB or Thunderbolt adapters. A professional musician would not being using a laptop to record sound they would be using an external device with a better soundcard.

19. CFoss macrumors 6502

I think the Line-In port.will become irrelevant soon. For simplicity, there's USB microphones. For professionals, they will probably be using an audio interface with an XLR/1/4 TRS port.

It is a tiny port though. They also got rid of the optical port, but I'm guessing that's due to the HDMI port.

20. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

Why does the size of the port matter? If it does digital in over an optical interface then that shouldn't matter.

21. Nate Hoffman macrumors newbie

It wouldn't matter if it was digital. I don't see many situations where you would need the optical in on your laptop rather than on your interface though.

22. wct097 macrumors 6502

Am I the only one that finds the fanboy attachment to the 'pro' marketing term annoying? FWIW, I'm a 'professional' that makes a living from his computer and I've never had the need to record anything. I do, however, use the line in on my 2011 MBP with a wired headset that I use for VOIP calling through my computer.

23. goMac macrumors 603

I'm going to break with the pack here and say that it has mono line in. The specs indicate it has iPhone headset support, which means there is a mono line in you can use with an adaptor. My 2009 Macbook Pro has a similar setup.

But, as others have said, this isn't going to be great for pro audio work.

24. Nate Hoffman macrumors newbie

Am I the only one that finds the careless use of "fanboy" to describe experienced professionals (who use Macs because they increase productivity and income) annoying?

25. wct097 macrumors 6502

I haven't seen that to be the case. Generally, I only attach the term 'fanboy' to someone that buys into the Apple marketing. The term 'pro' in 'Macbook Pro' has nothing to do with the actual users of the machines, nor does it adequately describe an ideal profession that the computer is designed for.