Line out audio not working in XP Pro [Solved - for me anyway]

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Riverside, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Riverside macrumors member

Riverside

This is a Bootcamp Win XP Pro installation on a Mac Pro.

I've had no problems with audio from line out until my last reboot.

line out works fine in Mac OS.

Noticed some 5000 series chipset errors in the device manager, but found a thread here stating this can be ignored and shouldn't be a problem.

Keep in mind, my line out WAS working until it just mysteriously quit on my today!

I've tried reinstalling Realtek drivers, and also found this thread in here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=388594

which offers no solution.

This is apparently a popular problem, and a really serious one for anyone like me that does professional quality recordings. Plugging into the headphone jack is NOT a solution! The headphone jack does not output line level, has the wrong impedance, and can ruin my equipment.

What aggravates me is that the line out jack was working.

This means that there HAS to be a solution. If it worked once, it can work again.

If ANYONE has a clue how to fix this, please get back to me.

In the meantime, I'll be looking on my own, and promise to return with whatever solution I find, if I do in fact find one.

2. Riverside thread starter macrumors member

Riverside

Check the jacks! They're cheap! That is very likely where the problem is with most people having this problem. Try a different plug. Make sure it's seated snuggly.

Before anyone snorts to themselves "duh! Of COURSE you should check that first," keep in mind, I checked them numerous times.

Mine didn't start working in both OS's again until I switched them with each other.

The built in jacks are junk. Any variation in signal strength from a slightly bad connection plays havoc with BOTH OS's, but apparently more with Windows than with Mac.