Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sargein

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2012
I was comparing the amount of text that shows on my XS vs my wife's XS (both on latest public iOS 12.0), and I noticed that her screen shows more lines than mine. E.g. in Mail app, she can see more email summaries than I do, even though we both have 1 line preview. I looked at Settings - Display & Brightness - Text Size, and they are both set to the same value (2nd lowest). On looking closer, the difference is in the line spacing - she has less space than I do (which I prefer), and I see that in most stock apps.

Searched all Settings, including Accessibility, but could not find anything that could make both the same. I know the iOS font changed recently, but since we are both on same iOS and have exact same settings, there should be no difference due to that.

Any ideas?

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
What setting would be behind this if the settings are the same, per OP?
“Searched all settings” doesn’t always mean every applicable setting was compared or reset to default.

It’s possible one phone has a language installed the other doesn’t, increasing leading, for example.

Reactions: sargein

sargein

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2012
All settings are the same, at least the ones I thought could impact this (as mentioned in my OP). Same languages installed in both phones as well. Bot Mail apps are setup to show the same number of lines (1 line) and history (no limit).

cruppga

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2015
In settings -> Mail->message list. there is an option for how many lines to preview

sargein

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2012
Here are a screenshot each from the two phones. As I mentioned the difference shows even in Settings menus, not just mail.
Notice how there is a bit more space at the bottom in one pic vs the other.

And yes, I did check that both phones have Standard View (not Zoomed).

Attachments

• Settings_1.jpg
    Settings_1.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 204
  • Settings_2.jpg
    Settings_2.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 207

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
All settings are the same, at least the ones I thought could impact this (as mentioned in my OP). Same languages installed in both phones as well.

Have you delved into the "iPhone language" screen to be sure? On my phone it says "English" - but there are many variations of English. Only when I click into the menu does it tell me English (UK).

Reactions: sargein

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Have you delved into the "iPhone language" screen to be sure? On my phone it says "English" - but there are many variations of English. Only when I click into the menu does it tell me English (UK).

Good shout. One thing I always notice different between English and English UK is in settings.... Cellular vs Mobile Data.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
Are you using the same Text Size under Accessibility? It could be that because as you mentioned it's not specific to Mail app and shows up everywhere
Here are a screenshot each from the two phones. As I mentioned the difference shows even in Settings menus, not just mail.
Notice how there is a bit more space at the bottom in one pic vs the other.

And yes, I did check that both phones have Standard View (not Zoomed).

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Wow the number of people suggesting things mentioned in the original post, I despair.

Been following this because I’d be interested to know the cause and have no suggestions.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
hahahaa.. I had read the first post, I guess this happens because next day when you check the forum it jumps to the first unread skipping the original post ... and everyone is trying to come up with their plausible explanations for explaining this discrepancy
Wow the number of people suggesting things mentioned in the original post, I despair.

Been following this because I’d be interested to know the cause and have no suggestions.

Reactions: GreyOS

sargein

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2012

Jackpot...kinda! The primary language was same (English US), but I saw I had installed 2 additional languages (Hindi...though not sure if exact language matters) a while back. I removed those and that fixed the issue. Tromboneaholic suggested this as well....thanks all for your responses!

Seems like a bug though...why should additional installed languages causes spacing differences in Setting screen that is all English? O well..

Reactions: nicho and GreyOS

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
Jackpot...kinda! The primary language was same (English US), but I saw I had installed 2 additional languages (Hindi...though not sure if exact language matters) a while back. I removed those and that fixed the issue. Tromboneaholic suggested this as well....thanks all for your responses!

Seems like a bug though...why should additional installed languages causes spacing differences in Setting screen that is all English? O well..
That was why I mentioned the problem could be caused by installing one language on one phone and not the other yesterday. Glad it was that simple.

sargein

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2012
Indeed. In fact, ever since we bought the phones, I had a nagging feeling that her phone was just ever so slightly snappier than mine. Nothing measurable, but felt like it (similar to how I felt the spacing difference before I actually compared to make sure I was not imagining things). Well, since I deleted the languages, I now feel my phone is equally snappy. All in my mind? Perhaps...but I am not complaining any more : )

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
To be fair, he did say in his original post that he had searched all the settings. Yet it turned out to be a setting. So your despair seems a bit premature.
Nah, I was referring to the specific settings he mentioned coming up again and again in the replies. Obviously OP meant that he couldn’t see anything obvious in the settings but was ready to accept it was a setting he had missed, which is why he opened it up to the forum. I was interested to see what people suggested, but not for that to be repetition of the basic settings he already mentioned. Glad we got there in the end. All the best.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.