Line spacing in Pages 2008 problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GreyMatta, Aug 10, 2007.

1. GreyMatta macrumors regular

I cannot get the line spacing in the new pages to be the same as in word 2004

i.e. the text finishes in different parts of the page depending on which app I open it in and I would like it to be the same if possible. I have tried all possible line spacing options in both apps to try and find the same option but I have had no luck.

In both apps the page margins etc are set exactly the same so I know its not that which is the problem.

is it possible to export a pages file so that it opens in word and everything is in the same place ?

cheers

GreyMatta

2. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

You can export a "pages" file as a Word .doc but sorry, I don't know about the line spacing .. :eek:

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

What you are asking for is problematic even between two installations of Word on different computers. Opening a visual duplicate of a Word document in a different app is not a reasonable expectation. People use PDF to ensure that formatting is preserved when documents are transferred. If you want to continue to edit a Word document on your Mac, then you are just going to have to reformat it as needed. If you don't need to change its content, then use PDF.

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

If you'd seen how many people complained about being given a Word 2003 document and how poorly formatted it looked in Word 2004 and vice versa, you wouldn't even bother to ask that question.

Regardless of how many times Microsoft has mentioned that Word is a WYSIWYG word processor, it really isn't. WYSICTWYG--what you see is close to what you get--is more like it. They had a Preview option for years because they knew it didn't look the same.

I'd suggest you try printing and see how they work on paper because you might not see any difference there.

5. GreyMatta thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the responses.

I have always assumed that a word doc opened up the same no matter what version of word it was created in.

I am sick and tired of word 2004 crapping out on me (it would not save a doc last night and i lost some university work I had been doing. luckily only an hour or so)

I think I am going to buy iWork

GreyMatta