Line update - Charlotte South Park

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pherplexed, Jul 16, 2008.

1. pherplexed macrumors member

Anyone in the Charlotte area have any updates on the lines the past day or so? I'm gonna be in the area Thursday morning, curious to know how long the lines have been or what time they're starting.

Fingers crossed for that little green dot on the iPhone availability page tonight!

2. cred0021 macrumors newbie

I was there yesterday between 4:00pm to 5:45pm - no iPhones in stock. The availability indicator came up as green for me around 8:00pm last night (I was checking on my Blackberry - so something might have been wrong since it's supposed to come up after 9:00pm). I called the store around 8:15pm and the person that answered said they still had none in stock.

FWIW, I also went to Durham yesterday on business and checked the Apple store there (they also had green availability the night before) - no go. The girl there said there was a glitch in Apple's system - I'm assuming that she was referring to the availability web page.

Do not trust the availability web page.

I think that I have given up - I'll wait til I become upgrade eligible near the end of August. Should be waiting regardless, but I have to say that I did get caught up in the iPhone sickness.:)

3. pherplexed thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the info, good to know!

Did you get any indication from the Apple store in Charlotte about what kinds of lines they've been having each day or how fast they're selling out?

4. mac'inmama macrumors regular

I called Charlotte South Park yesterday (Tuesday) and they said that there weren't lines, but there were also no phones. The employee that I spoke to said that they hadn't gotten a shipment since Friday. Don't know if that is true or not, but I do know that the Apple indicator had not yet updated at 11pm the night before (EASTERN) and I told the guy that it says San Francisco time on the site, but he said that it's supposed to be EST...don't think sooooo.

Anyway, I ended up going to AT&T and unfortunately am on direct (whenever) fulfillment.

5. ProMod macrumors 6502a

I was at the the mall today and they had phones. At about 2 PM, the line was about 30 deep, and I asked the person who was next in line to go in the store how long she had been there, and she said 5 hrs.

They had 3 "tickets" left for phones (only 8Gb black), so I could have taken one and waited in the line for about 5 hrs, but I passed. This is getting rediculous. Why should it take 5 hrs for the 30 people in front of me to get phones?

6. cualexander macrumors 6502a

I was at the store around 6pm. There was a small group of people outside, but all they had left were the 16gig white phones.

I was tempted to stand in line to get one, but I really just want the 8gig black. I went inside and tested the 3g connection vs my 2g. A lot faster. The store was pretty crowded.

It sucks, I can't get a phone if I don't take a day off work it seems. Maybe they will have one on Saturday. I wish. It sucks that the southpark mall is the only place I can get an iphone in the entire city of charlotte. I mean Charlotte is huge, you would think there would be another Apple store. The city could support it.

7. ProMod macrumors 6502a

That's odd, I was told all they had left were black 8GB. Maybe some people changed their minds or something?

I wish we had another Apple store for sure. The Raleigh-Durham area has two, Charlotte should have two. Preferably in Northlake Mall.

8. ProMod macrumors 6502a

Anybody have any updates on today's situation at SouthPark?

9. islandtitan macrumors regular

islandtitan

10. ProMod macrumors 6502a

Nice.

11. w00tini macrumors 6502a

First off, Charlotte could never support two Apple stores. We have two up here @ RDU because its one of the most tech savvy cities in the nation (Wired ranked it a top 5 last year). If you add in all the hippies living in the mountains around the area, well, there you go...

Anyway, its still pandemonium pretty much anywhere you go as far as Apple store. Long lines, stupid waiting once you even get inside, ect.

Give it a few more weeks. Once schools start back, retail takes a huge nosedive until around mid-November for the holidays. There will be plenty to be had then.

Go outside and enjoy the weather while we have it!

PS
    Still love my Charlotte homies :-]

12. ProMod macrumors 6502a

You people in Raleigh really do have an inferiority complex when it comes to Charlotte, don't you? :D I heard about that on the news!

I wish I could wait, but it's going to be hard. I sold my 1st gen iPhone last week, and I am using my old Razr in the interim. I'm about to go nuts.

13. w00tini macrumors 6502a

well, we sort of are Boston to your New York I guess :-/

Anyway, I'm hoping to snag a phone this weekend with some gift cards from the lady for father's day. I'll post back if there's any luck in either Durham or Raleigh.

Good luck to everyone else in the hunt!

14. mac'inmama macrumors regular

Aww that would be great! I am about 50 minutes-hour north of the South Park location on 77 and one in Northlake would be sweet!

15. cualexander macrumors 6502a

I just got a 16gig black 3g iphone from the Charlotte Store. The availability checker is total BS. I checked it last night and they said they wouldn't have any today. But I called after I got off work and they said they had some 16gig ones in both colors. So I rushed over and got in line for an hour around 7pm. The girl maintaining the line said that they had gotten a shipment in around noon so thats why the availability checker said none because at that time they didn't have any... You would think it would know about upcoming shipments??

Anyhow. Totally excited that I got one and minimal wait at that.

16. w00tini macrumors 6502a

fyi...

Raleigh (Crabtree) had 8Gb and 16Gb whites in stock today. They ran out of 16Gb earlier today, but did have them for a bit. Took an hour to get in and out with a phone (30 minutes was just waiting for an available apple person to activate for me).

good luck everyone