linear oscillating motor instead of the rotational motor

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Iphone3gs, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Iphone3gs macrumors 6502

linear oscillating motor instead of the rotational motor

The battery within the 4S is different than the one inside the iPhone 4, packing an improved capacity along with having different shaped connector points. The 4S also features the same vibration motor found in the Verizon-only iPhone 4, which is a linear oscillating motor instead of the rotational motor found in older iPhones.

So how does this make a difference? For the phones efficiency By vibrating or how does it make it better ?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/241708/ifixit_posts_iphone_4s_teardown_makes_siri_get_cranky.html

2. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Thanks for the article! :)

The battery being higher capacity is actually the main thing that interest's me...

3. Iphone3gs thread starter macrumors 6502

So no engineers or scientists or geniuses in here can explain why having a linear vibrator will make phone better then having a rotational one as apple has put an linear vibrator in the 4S

4. Advil macrumors 6502a

Holy crap, I swear I noticed that the vibrate felt different on my 4S than my 4... I thought I was just crazy but I was so sure of it. This confirms it I guess.

5. borisiii macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

It means the phone won't slide along a table/surface when it vibrates, and that it is quieter even though it vibrates just as much as previous models.

6. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

I noticed this right away (As I still have my 4 with me till I sell it.) The 4 has a higher pitched whine when it vibrates compared to the 4S, which is lower and quieter.

The 4 also seems to wind up and wind down so the pitch changes a little whereas the 4S is constant throughout.

Overall the 4S vibrate feels a bit more "refined".

7. Iphone3gs thread starter macrumors 6502

Asking a scientist-

The conclusion we came up with was-

As it will be vibrating linearly it will take up less space-so maybe more space for the battery.

Also maybe less heat consumption. As it vibrates linearly not rotationaly