Lines During Action?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by mikeyPotg, Feb 24, 2008.

1. mikeyPotg macrumors 6502

I'm shooting with a Canon HV20 in 24p mode and at times, when theres movement on the screen, I get this blurryness:
    [​IMG]

Anyone else getting that? Anyone know what it may be from? Its strange, because it seems like sometimes its there when I play it back, and sometimes its not.

I use compressor to get rid of the pulldown.

2. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

3. AstrayCliche macrumors member

Is the motion jerky as well? It looks as though the reverse pulldown was performed out of order with the footage.

4. mikeyPotg thread starter macrumors 6502

The camera movements seem shaky to me but I'm not sure if thats me, the tripod, or the camera. When the camera is still and there is movement on the screen, I dont notice any shakes, just the annoying lines at certain parts. It's strange too, because it doesn't appear during all the moving scenes, only at times.

I don't think I noticed it like this on the tape prior to editing, but I'll have to look at it again.

Here's the video, btw. I had a snow day and decided to test out my workflow with all my new equipment. Its hard to notice there, but its around 2:50 into it where I noticed it most as a large file:
    http://vimeo.com/719050

Here's the 2nd video I did real quick this weekend:
    http://vimeo.com/721184

5. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

Those lines are normal for interlaced video, it's how TVs work. But since you're shooting in 24p, progressive, you shouldn't be getting those lines.

What were your capture settings when you captured the footage? Does your software know it should be 24p?

6. mikeyPotg thread starter macrumors 6502

I used the workflow from here:
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306389

With the exception of using iMovie 06 to import my footage since I can't seem to stop the auto scene breaks when I import with FCP 6. The capture settings on iMovie HD 06 were the standard settings, I didn't change anything with them.
    As soon as I had the footage, I used compressor, with the settings mentioned in the link above.

7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Compressor might have screwed up. I'd try it again to see if you get any different results. You might also try JES Deinterlacer if you can't get Compressor to do it properly.

Lethal

8. sycho macrumors 6502a

sycho

9. prs986 macrumors regular

It's because the HV20 records the 24fps footage in a 60i rapper. You have to inverse telecine to get rid of those lines to get true 24p. Use JES Deinterlacer like Leathalwolf said. It offers a great inverse telecine. Then take that footage and import into FCP.