Lines, Frozen Screen and audible alarm? Screenshot attached.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NikFinn, Jul 18, 2011.

1. NikFinn, Jul 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2011

NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

Hey guys,

I've had my MBP 2.3 since the week of release (Feb or March?) either way, I've plagued with this problem about 4 times in the 4 months or so that I've had it, both before and after I installed the optibay with SSD. Today was the first time this has happened in Lion, and also the first time I noticed the audible alarm. I don't really know how to search, as I'm not sure how to describe this problem but here is a picture
    [​IMG]

The first time I didn't think anything of it, and I generally forget about it shortly after each time. But after 4 times I remembered to quickly take a picture before holding the power button down and forcing a shutdown. There seems to be no trigger to setting of this. Any idea what would cause this?

Edit.
    Also, want to note that this instance it happened driving a display from MDP-> DVI but it's happened on just the built in display as well.

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

Looks like a bad logic board. Take it in with the picture.

3. NikFinn thread starter macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

Definitely going to take it in. I'm guessing it's recommended to revert back to standard non-optibayed configuration before visting the genius bar?

4. peace4al macrumors newbie

Again the time bomb has exploded !
    Bro its the Intel HD 3000 !!!
    Check the forum for similar issues with 2011 MBP's.
    Definitely recommend to remove the Optibay and throw in the standard SuperDrive /HDD.

Keep us posted with your genius bar experience.

5. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

yeah probably as that voids your warranty.

6. NikFinn thread starter macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

Haven't really been on here in a while. Looks like I'll be busting out the #00 and the T6 tomorrow and then genius bar on Wednesday. I'll try and update the thread after I go.

7. head honcho 123 macrumors 6502

please update us.

this looks like a bad board (specifically GPU).

most likely if the apple genius can't replicate the issue at the store he will give you a logic board replacement on the spot. if it was within 14 days of purchase he would have given you a new machine.

yes... you should take out the optibay b4 taking it in to apple. they might blame it on the optibay (which obviously don't make any sense)

8. NikFinn thread starter macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

That's the only other one I found when I realized what I should be searching for (a gpu issue) but even that one doesn't have the integrated graphics as that is a 15". Either way, still on track to go to the genius bar tomorrow and will definitely update the thread. I had to have a logic board replaced before in a different computer and am hoping this time they actually have it in stock.

9. NikFinn thread starter macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

Updating the thread as promised.

Went to the genius bar today and they ran a diagnostic test that didn't show anything was wrong but they also didn't have the logic board in stock. Ended up taking my MBP home and am waiting for the call when they are in stock (3 days was what I was quoted). They said then they would run tests to try and reproduce the problem (which seems unlikely as I haven't been able to successfully reproduce it). I'm hoping they just swap out the logic board when they get one in and I'll be on my way.

10. head honcho 123 macrumors 6502

thanks for the update. good thing u took a photo of the issue to show apple.