Lines on day AFTER launch?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by murdercitydevil, Jun 12, 2010.

1. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

I won't be able to pick up my iPhone on the 24th, but rather the day after. How bad do you think lines at AT&T will be on the second day? Would camping out a few hours prior to store opening be necessary? I won't be picking up a reserved phone, i'll be buying/activating at the store.

2. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

3. cowsrus macrumors 6502

chances are there won't be any phones left
    theres such a large line the day of release because they run out
    why would people wait in 3 hour long lines if they could just come back the next day?

if you preorder im pretty sure they hold your phone for 24 hours, i believe that means they hold it for the morning of the 25th but i may be mistaken

4. murdercitydevil thread starter macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

Okay...2 follow up questions -

1. Would the Apple store have any the day after, do you think? From what I hear, their supply is much better than AT&T

2. I know that you can activate your phone at the Apple store, but there's a problem. I'm a first time customer and after doing the credit check AT&T told me I need to pay a 500 dollar security deposit. If I buy the phone at the Apple store would I be able to go through that procedure painlessly, or is that something that AT&T is only able to do? (Also, is it possible to deal with that during iTunes activation, or no?)

5. Dark K macrumors member

The reason of the first day is to sell every iPhone on that day, maybe on the 27th.

6. pika2000 macrumors 68030

I don't think there will be a supply issue. Apple is not stupid. They already plan an extremely fast worldwide rollout for the iPhone 4, so I think they are prepared. I mean, ever wonder why the iPad is lagging in terms of supply? ;) Probably because Apple have the factories focusing on churning out the iPhone 4.

7. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

The reason why people camp out is just in case there are limited supplies and the satisfaction of being one of the firsts.

But because walmart and radioshack are carrying them this should increase your chance of finding one. But who knows.

8. murdercitydevil thread starter macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

This is what I'm hoping...Walmart just may prove to be an oasis of iPhones for those that couldn't get them at AT&T/Apple. The average walmart customer probably has no idea about the new iPhone, and the tech-savvy iPhone 4 buyer doesn't want to set foot in walmart. Maybe that means they'll have a stockpile.

9. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

1) depends on the Apple store. My local store has had more than enough to go around with past releases. Lines were long for a week to 10 days after the release

2) If you need to pay a deposit, you need to go to At&T

10. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

I would seriously preorder from AT&T for in store pickup. They do hold your order for 24 hours. Also, according to their press release all AT&T preorders for instore delivery and pickup will be available for pickup on June 25 which would be perfect for you anyways.

11. euphrus macrumors member

i hope not because thats when im planning to pickup my iphone 4:)

12. ipoddin macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

I think you'll be fine. When the original came out there were massive lines everywhere. I walked in to a store on day two and picked one up.

But why don't you pre order and have it delivered to your house?

13. witmvpness6 macrumors member

I got my 3G the day after launch. I called my apple store and they said they still had a decent amount of them so I ran up there. I was in line for about 45 minutes but this might be a little longer since more customers are eligible.

14. murdercitydevil thread starter macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

I'm sorry, I should have clarified what I meant. When I say the earliest I can "get" the phone is the 25th, I mean, that's the earliest that I'll have the money to actually pay for it and the deposit (didn't plan for having to pay an extra 500 bucks...I thought it would have been cheaper). So pre-ordering is not possible. I feel pretty confident though that at least ONE AT&T store somewhere in my area will have an iPhone on the following day. I requested the weekend off work, so I'll have plenty of time to wait in line, if I must :)

15. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

At&t stores usually sell out early on release day because of the limited supply they have. Takes a couple of days to get more in stock

16. murdercitydevil thread starter macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

Do you think it would be possible to buy the physical phone/plan at some other retailer then (walmart, radioshack, apple) and just have them let me take the phone so I can do the itunes activation? Or do they force you to buy/pay for everything on the spot?