Lines on my iMac screen

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Liffey, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Liffey macrumors regular

Anyone know what these are?

[​IMG]

They are mainly visible when the screen is dark, but they're kind of jittery which can make them distracting. I have a Late 2009 27" iMac.

I will probably upgrade next year, so I can hold out for now, I'm just curious what they are and what causes them.

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Most likely a failing graphics card, possibly a failing display.

3. ioannis2005gr macrumors 6502

ioannis2005gr

I am not sure what these lines are....but I know very well that 27'' LG Monitor in 2012-2013 iMacs suffers from many problems! (i.e. ghosting, IR, yellowish, light bleeding etc).

Check around and read those threads...

I understand you've got a 2009 27'' iMac but I don't know whether or not this is the same with the existing 2012-2013 27'' LG Monitor ...I think it is....

Some customers experienced monitor problems and they exchanged their 27'' (2012-2013) iMacs (in some cases, 2-3 times...) till they found a "good" one!

Personally, I was ready to purchase a nice 27'' iMac but when I read these problems, I felt very uncomfortable...even if you buy APPLE CARE, you will have to return a defective product and ask for replacement unit...

...and then, probably, after a couple of weeks, the replacement unit may need to be replaced again due to other monitor problems...

(I don't want to risk it! I quit! I will buy a new 21.5'' iMac or an upcoming new Mac Mini).

This is my opinion... :cool:

4. Redsand187, Nov 3, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2013

Redsand187 macrumors member

OMG!

I had this same issue on my machine!

I brought it in, they replaced the graphics card, nothing. They replaced the LCD, nothing. Finally, after working with executive corporate support, they had me send the machine to California, checked it out, and replaced the hard drive and logic board as well. The issue is fixed now.

It literally took over a month to get this resolved. A lot of people couldn't even see the lines, then other people would be like "Whoa, what's wrong with your screen."

If it wasn't for the pictures I took, proving there was something wrong, I don't think they would have done anything to help me.