Lines on my MBP 15" (Late 2008) screen?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by luci216, Aug 31, 2010.

1. luci216 macrumors member

Hey,

I just came back from vacation 2 days ago ... turned on my MBP and everything seemed normal. Until this morning. After installing an iPad update all night... I turned on my computer this morning and these lines showed up on the screen. It almost looks like it suffered an impact to the lower right..

What might be the problem? Is the whole display screwed up or is it just the wires that have gotten loose? Easily fixable? ><

(I attached a picture.)

Thanks for any input!

Attached Files:

2. puma1552 macrumors 601

Your graphics card failed.

FYI, that's not a Late 08 machine, Late 08s are unis.

3. steveca macrumors 6502

Looks as if the graphics card has some problems. The same used to happen with an old iBook G3 and it was a daughterboard.

Do you have AppleCare?

4. luci216 thread starter macrumors member

Ah, you're right--sorry. It's an early 2008, not late.

Do graphics cards just spontaneously die like that? Does anyone know how much one would cost, or if it could be anything else?

I have a dead (failed motherboard) MBP unibody 13" (2009). Is it possible to use that computer's graphics card or other parts?

--
    Even if I had gotten AppleCare, it would have expired by the time I get back to the US.. So that's a no-go..

5. Wafflausages macrumors 6502

the chips are soldered onto the logic board so you cannot remove or swap the gpu, and yes its possibly that issue so i'd take it to apple and probably get a replacement or repair :)

6. eponym macrumors 6502

7. MacRacer macrumors regular

Early 08 MBP have the GeForce 8600M GT which has an issue. I believe there was a HUGE issue because Nvidia made a recall of the graphics cards and Apple wasn't going to issue a recall for the MBP, but Apple will replace the defective graphics card with motherboard for free even though it is out of warranty. I have an Early 08 15" 2.5 GHz and mine hasn't pop yet. Go to an Apple store and get it fixed. A am positive they will fix it for free. If not, then my info is wrong. Apple has confirmed the problem and is fixing the defective units.

8. luci216 thread starter macrumors member

Unfortunately..

Thanks for everyone's input.. but Apple diagnosed it as human-caused

(somehow?? I don't know.. it still seems extremely spontaneous to me since I was traveling for 2 months.. came back, it was fine.. then the next day it just shows up?)

and I would need to buy a new LCD for $700 (without installation). :( Anyone have any recommendations concerning what kind of external display I should get? Is it possible to leave the MBP closed while I use an external display, and use it like a computer tower of sorts? What kind of wire would I need for it?

Thanks!

9. snaky69 macrumors 603

I strongly doubt your screen is at fault here, did they run diagnostic tests, this looks like your graphics card failed to me.

10. babyt macrumors regular

babyt

call customer service..
    and talk with some, tell them that you havent used it in 2 months..
    if possible go to another genius bar
    if it is a graphics problem [which it looks and sounds like] then you are due a free fix!

11. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

It could be either.

In my experience, graphics cards failures look different than that.

I could be wrong.

There's only one way to find out! Throw a new LCD in and see what happens. Your model uses the one LCD that is most difficult to buy in working condition, that whole first generation of LED backlit LCDs were god awful.