Lines this mornings 2x what they were on launch day

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by acrafton, Jul 15, 2008.

1. acrafton macrumors 6502

Drove by the local Apple Store (Southlake, TX) and the lines are 2x as long as they have been on launch day. While I was driving by a manager was outside shouting to the crowd that even though the Apple website said they had phones they had NONE. They were expecting shipments that morning but did not know what/where/how/etc. . .there would be, if any.

This seems like an odd way to run a railroad. . .

2. billyripkin macrumors 6502

billyripkin

I can't believe the lines are still this bad. I am glad I got mine on launch day.

3. illutionz macrumors 65816

Thank God i'm getting mine August 5th after I'm back ;)

4. elistan macrumors 6502a

I went by an Apple store yesterday evening (Knox/Henderson in Dallas) and was surprised to find a line out the door. Completely different than when the first-gen iPhone was released - I got mine at that same store the first day of sales and didn't have to wait at all. Wow.

5. mb2008 macrumors regular

SL had no clue Monday morning was going to be busy....they had to call in extra staff while I was there. I drove by on Friday night and Sunday afternoon, the lines were back around the side of the building and I didn't even need to leave the parking garage to see it was useless. I bet they don't catch up until next week. No one in Southlake seems to have a real job, the town center is ALWAYS packed with SAHMs, plus it's the only store in Tarrant County.

6. illutionz macrumors 65816

I think part of the reason why there's line is because of the in-store activation instead of at-home activation like the iPhone 2G

7. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Along with the fact that they actually have to verify that the customer is elgible for an upgrade and make the account doesn't have a FAN attached to it(APPLE STORE).

8. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

Seriously though...people probably all thought that the frenzy would be down.

I find that especially when having to go to renew a license, or go to the courthouse...what-not. The magic day and time for me is Tuesday at 2:00. (This may not be true everywhere...but it works here.) :)

So, obviously...tuesday not a good day to get in line for popular electronics.
    *makes mental note* :p

9. HaroldC macrumors regular

There's a reason for this: Most Apple stores across the country are out of stock of the 3G, both 8g and 16g versions. Thus those that have stock are going to have increased traffic, as there is no where else to buy the 3G.

10. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

What about being able to pre-order one from at&t?

You'd have to wait a few days...possibly a week. But, you're practically guaranteed the size and color you want.

11. ryanmcv macrumors 6502a

ryanmcv

I stood in line at the Michigan Avenue store in Chicago for over 3 hours yesterday -- Got there at 10am when they opened and the line was already about a block and a half long and stretched all the way around the building. I can't imagine the lines have died down much today, considering the line stayed just as long throughout the entire day yesterday. This activation process really needs some rethinking, as from what I saw, it is taking an average of 20 minutes per person to activate the phone. At the Michigan Avenue store, only 12 Apple employees were activating iPhones for the hundreds of people in line.

12. luckygyrl83 macrumors 6502

Yeah, I experienced that last week. They just allowed me to leave and finish activation in the store.

13. elistan macrumors 6502a

So to sum up, sounds like there are three factors?

1) Higher demand for 3G iPhone, leading to more people looking to purchase.
    2) Stores with low inventory selling out, leading to shoppers being concentrated in smaller areas.
    3) Long purchase process leading to fewer people being processed per hour.

Hmm, makes sense.

14. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

...Which is driving the demand up, to be one of the first ones to have it. :p
    So, I'm sure apple is very happy.

(I dont have one yet...:( but, soon...hopefully)

15. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

Wait... I'm confused. Did you mean to say they allowed you to leave and finish the activation AT HOME ? Cause that's what happend to me and many other people.

16. acrafton thread starter macrumors 6502

Looks like the didn't get any!

So, after my initial post I saw a buddy who was in in line early. . .and according to him the store received NO IPhones today. . .even though the online tool had said they would have them. . .lots of upset folks.

17. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Yup, I went to five Apple Stores Monday night, all were out of stock of black 16GB phones. At this rate, I'm probably going to have to wait two weeks.