Lingering feeling that I'm settling

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by rnangie, Apr 23, 2015.

1. rnangie macrumors newbie

I'm getting a white sport tomorrow. My husband had wanted me to get the SS but I figured I'd save some money because I will likely want the next iteration. I even tried the sport on and I liked it. Still, I can't help but think I should return it and get the SS. It's primarily the sapphire crystal that I am wanting. I actually like the look of the aluminum. Money is not an issue. I am venting here because my husband (whom I love dearly) does not want to talk about it. He just wants me to make up my freaking mind and be done with it : )

2. Techchic macrumors newbie

I feel the same way. My sport with white is arriving tomorrow and I've already got a buyer for it. I ordered the SS with white and its scheduled for 5/14 window. Although i don't dislike the sport, the SS just looks so much classier to me, and it looks much nicer with the jewelry/bracelets that I already wear. My jewely (pandora bracelet, ring) would also likely scratch the sport's glass after a while.

Yes, I could have saved a few bucks by settling for the sport. But I know I would always be thinking about how much nicer the SS would have suited me.

P.S. I ordered a milanese loop, separately, and will use the white band only for exercise/outdoor activities.

3. spoa94 macrumors 6502a

spoa94

I feel the same. When first announced I wanted the SS Milanese loop but in the end decided to just go with the Sport because I know I will want the Gen 2 and it will probably be much improved. I am sticking with my Sport so that I at least own an AW and will maybe pay more for a gen 2

4. ep3forlife13 macrumors member

I thought the same thing....but I realized it is the first apple watch and only had a shelf life of 12-18 months u til the next one. We all know the next watch will have be a huge upgrade like every other apple product. The aport is be just fine...honestly I was worried about not having the sapphire glass but I soon realized i wont be rubbing up against walls and walking into flying peices of sand paper!

5. viachicago22 macrumors 6502

viachicago22

If you like the aluminum and want the white sport band then the glass isn't reason to change in my opinion. The scratch test showed the ion x held up incredibly well (sandpaper was the only thing that scratched it) so especially in your case I don't see a reason to change. If you simply preferred the SS, thought it looked nicer and felt better and you don't care about the money then go ahead. But for only the sapphire? Nah.

6. rnangie thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I think I'm just going to be happy with the sport. I don't go around bashing my wrist into things so I should be ok.

7. kingofwale macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

considering I wanted Space black with black link and now going with Sport white.

Am I settling? Hell yes,

Am I going to pay 3 times the price? Hell no

if anything, it's Apple's loss.

8. crzyhanko macrumors newbie

I thought that, then I bought a (non-:apple:) watch without a sapphire crystal. That said, I still bought the sport model and anticipate being quite content with that.

9. viachicago22 macrumors 6502

viachicago22

But if you see your husband coming at you with sandpaper you're SOL

10. Presonance macrumors regular

Presonance

If you want the SS just buy it. You'll be able to sell it next year and buy the new one if you want it, losing only about 200-250 bucks in the process. Consider that a "usage fee" for something you truly enjoy every single day.

11. rnangie thread starter macrumors newbie

If I see that coming I shall employ my MMA moves on him. With my right hand

12. tiggertoo macrumors member

tiggertoo

I'm getting the sport with white band also and I've second-guessed my decision a thousand times. Money is not an issue in my case either. However, I'm planning to use the watch for biking and walking, exercising tracking. The sport is lighter. Also, my dressing style is casual athletic wear. And the tech geek in me has always wanted the new upgraded versions of the generations following so with these factors in mind, I think I'll be much more happy with the sport. The brushed aluminum looks simple and amazing to me, didn't seem to be a reason to spend another $200 in my case. I don't wear a lot of jewelry or makeup, the extra bling is not me, simple chic and practical is how I think of the sport version. Just because it's $200 more doesn't make the SS the one I have to have.

13. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

If money is not an issue I say go with SS.

14. jediuia macrumors regular

definitely get the SS sapphire, i doubt AC+ covers scratches

15. kovey macrumors 6502a

:rolleyes:

16. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Your first instinct was the right one. Check out the Sport edition and see how it lasts and whether you'll end up using it as much as you think you will. You'll also be able to judge just how good (or not) the glass face is. If you don't care for it after a year but love the watch enough to upgrade then get the SS.

That's what I would do. As it is I'm waiting on the second version of this watch. I want to see reports from real users over the next year or to see what real world reviews are. I'm especially wondering how many will keep using it daily for the next year.

----------

You have no idea how much it'll be worth on the resale market. That all remains to be seen. It will also depend when and what the 2nd gen is going to offer.

17. 3under2 macrumors regular

3under2

I have a different view. I went with the 38mm SS milanese and then also ordered a black sport band. I wear a very nice watch everyday so for something to replace that, it needs to be at least as nice. If money is not an issue, get what you want. I'd have been settling if I got the sport version ... That's just me though ;).

Good Luck!

18. rnangie thread starter macrumors newbie

Money is not an issue for me because I'm careful how I spend it

Anyway, I am very excited to get my sport and I'm going to stop second guessing myself. And if I don't like it there's always watch#2 to look forward to.