Lining up for the iPhone 6

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AppleTecFan, Sep 10, 2014.

1. AppleTecFan macrumors 6502

AppleTecFan

After leaving my iPhone 5 for the Note 2, then the HTC One M7, to the Nexus 5, to HTC One M8, to the LG G3, to the Oneplus One; I have finally deicided its time to jump back into the Apple Camp with the iPhone 6/

I am planning to line up and sell (and purchasing my iPhone at a later date) my spot at a Vancouver,BC Apple Store. What should I do in order to do this?

2. andyACEcandy macrumors 6502a

Why don't you just pre-order online and have the phone shipped to you in the comfort of your own home?

3. WorldTravelBro macrumors member

Buy a backpack and and a sleeping bag. Also a cardboard sign saying spot for sale to cover the sun. You have to camp outside the store...

4. nnacrumors macrumors 6502

There is no ****ing chance in hell I would ever go sleep on the streets at night. I'd be too worried someone would come up and either rob me or worse :(

And to those that say "but you have other people around so it's safe"... yeah right :rolleyes: You think those complete strangers won't jump up and run for their lives if some thug comes up and starts pounding the hell out of you?

5. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

gotta love that sheltered life

6. AppleTecFan thread starter macrumors 6502

AppleTecFan

I'm camping with some friends, I also thinking of doing a craiglist ad also. When should I begin camping out.

Also I am only lining up in hopes someone will buy my spot

7. WorldTravelBro macrumors member

Loitering is the act of remaining in a particular public place for a protracted time without an apparent purpose. Under certain circumstances, it is illegal in various jurisdictions.

I will dress as a cop (legal if you change the name slightly) and tell you that you may need to leave because this is considered loitering. Notice the word may. After you leave I would take your spot.

8. nnacrumors macrumors 6502

Ahhh to be young, thinking you're invincible and that taking stupid risks is a cool thing to do :rolleyes:

Guess they all grow up eventually though... (some quicker than others)

9. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

I'd hardly consider camping in front of an Apple store a 'stupid risk'. Stupid? Maybe. A risk? lol sheltered.

How do you even come to the ridiculous conclusion that people would camp out for an iPhone to be 'cool'? Is it so far fetched for you to believe that maybe, just maybe they want an iPhone at launch?

Silly.

10. WorldTravelBro macrumors member

I would see it more like an adventure. I am 30 years old and i would do it.

Would be an adventure of a lifetime.

11. AppleTecFan thread starter macrumors 6502

AppleTecFan

Exactly, I'm really in it for the money to be honest. But yeah that too

12. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Should I point out the obvious that the money you can make from your spot is worth less than the money you can make using that same time in other endeavors.

13. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

Thinking about heading down to the Penrith (Australia) store early friday to line up, but big day the day before picking new car up, so contemplating just pre-ordering it and waking up to the sound of my phone being delivered Friday instead lol

Oh who am I kidding, I love the lining up, chatting with people, strange looks from passers by... I'll be at Penrith at 4am, as I can sleep that afternoon before work friday night :)

14. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

lol at lining up, gl finding a buyer.

i will just do wat i do every year, wake up in the afternoon n just go to any verizon store for one.

15. andyACEcandy macrumors 6502a

Wait... why would camping out be preferred over trying to pre-order online???

16. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

if you are 30+ years old and camping out for an electronic device you need to re-evaluate your life.

17. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

Why? Theres more than just getting the device. It's an outing, it's fun, it's a family thing, and we still chat to people we met lining up for the iPad 1. Now I will say that we usually went down late evening the day before launch so only were there over night, not days and days before.

If people want to BASE jump, run 20 miles a day, fly gliders, race bikes or sit and wait for a phone, when who are we to judge them, as long as it's something they want to do?

18. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Almost nobody sleeps in line. I have been to plenty of these events. A fight broke out once between people who were drinking (obviously illegally). Nobody got robbed, but the cops did get called.

I have never seen an Apple store set up in the ghetto. Often times they get police officers to come by the parking lots multiple times throughout the night, if they don't stay there for the whole night entirely.

Not saying you should do it, but getting robbed "or worse" is likely not in your cards for an Apple launch. Just saying.

----------

Howveer old you[/I ]are, you should re-evaluate your judgmental attitude. :cool:

19. nnacrumors macrumors 6502

You are correct sir.

I was tired when I wrote my first response and, when I read WorldTravelBro's response about a sleeping bag, I assumed incorrectly that the OP was talking about spending multiple days in line for an iPhone :eek:

Standing in line for one night is totally fine (to each his own), just that I personally would never line up days in advance for an iPhone, requiring me to eventually sleep on the streets.

20. AppleTecFan thread starter macrumors 6502

AppleTecFan

I might stay one or two days depending on the line

21. loskickking23 macrumors 6502a

I'm 38 years old and been going to the store every release since the first iphone..I usually go between 1 and 2am .. By 9am I'm on my way to work.. I just prefer going to the store.. Every year I meet nice new people

22. Steve121178 macrumors 601

Steve121178

In future, why not try working harder to earn good money and you won't have to humiliate yourself in such a public manner.

23. indychris macrumors 6502

indychris

Reminds me of the recent study that showed unemployed people are more likely on any given day to go shopping rather than job hunting...

24. AppleTecFan thread starter macrumors 6502

AppleTecFan

I have 4 jobs plus I am in post secondary. I work very hard for my money (refer to how many phones I have owned)and I am little offended by your comment.

25. TahoeDust macrumors 6502

All four of your employers are going to let you have days off to camp in a parking lot? You must be a critical employee. :D