Lining up the night before

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by s3kenny, Sep 14, 2014.

1. s3kenny macrumors newbie

Anyone done this? I would think that would guarantee you getting any phone you want right?

2. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

3. rambo47 macrumors 6502a

rambo47

In some places folks are ALREADY lined up.

4. -Knight- macrumors 6502a

-Knight-

If there's no one else I would say yes but if there's already 100 people there then it could be a long shot to get a 6+ if that is what you want.

5. s3kenny thread starter macrumors newbie

Maybe not guarantee, but pretty much solid odds?

6. sfwalter macrumors 68000

sfwalter

Well it would pretty much guarantee that you could walk away with a phone but not necessarily the one you want. I camped out for the 5S last year and I was number 26 in line. When I got to the front they had no white or gold 32 ATT phones just space gray.

I have a funny feeling that 6 plus 64gb will be in short supply. If I hadn't preordered I would definitely be camping out.

7. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

I'm afraid you're too late, you can still fall in line but it's too late

8. techiebug macrumors 6502a

9. s3kenny thread starter macrumors newbie

Nice, how early did you go to get 26th in line? Was that an apple store?

10. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

We went to the mall today and as usual stopped in the Apple Store. I talked to one of the employees there (very nice and cool guy, like all of them) and he told me that they had just had a big meeting that morning about Friday. They are getting a pretty good stock in but they don't know how much of each model they're getting, and when I told him that we wanted the 128GB 6+ GSM model, he heavily implied that we would likely be better off sticking with our preorder.

In other words, depending on the popularity of the phone you're looking for and taking into account the alleged manufacturing issues they've had with the 6+, there's no "guarantee" of anything.

At this Apple Store, he told me that the mall usually allows people to start lining up at 9pm Thursday, and that before they opened they would be going down the line and signing people up with digital reservations. My wife and I decided to stick with our preorders; that's the only true guarantee of getting exactly what you want.

11. rambo47 macrumors 6502a

rambo47

They're talking about a new digital reservation card instead of the old-fashioned paper ones like with the 5s.

12. s3kenny thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the insight, How does that digital reservation work anyways? Is that something they start deploying in the morning so you can leave your spot in line?

13. Lasereyes macrumors member

Could you elaborate on this? Does that mean I could get my digital reservation then leave? Or do I have to stay in line?

14. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

I believe that's the case, yes. They will essentially let you know that they have the model you're looking for and you'll be scheduled in the Apple Store app for when you can get yours, and then you can leave and come back at the time given.

EDIT: Honestly, once I decided I wasn't going to be lining up, I didn't push for details on the reservation system so I might not have it 100% right. This is how I understood it as he was explaining it to me.

15. Lasereyes macrumors member

If that is true, then I will DEFINITELY be lining up early Thursday. That's great!

16. -Knight- macrumors 6502a

-Knight-

Man if they can do the digital thing on Thursday night that would be cool to know if you can get what you want or not. Will also give you all night to cancel and reset your eligibility if you can get it done lol.

17. HiItsMe macrumors 6502

This is what I've heard as well. Problem is that they won't start the digital reservations until shortly before the store opens anyway so you might as well just wait it out for your purchase at that point. (Unless the line is crazy long.)

18. sfwalter macrumors 68000

sfwalter

I lined up around 6pm the first folks lined up around 3pm. Yes it was at an Apple store, specifically WillowBend in Plano Texas.

----------

Also if your camping out bring a comfortable chair I can't stress that enough. Don't bring those cheap $15 Walmart chairs you will need something with some more comfort.