Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sporadic

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Hereford, UK.
I upgraded my 2009 Mac Pro to ML the other day. I use an aggregated link using both gigabit NICs to an 802.3ad capable switch for speed. This worked perfectly under Lion but under ML the virtual device fails to start with each member showing "no partner" in the advanced dialogue.

If I take one of the NICs out of the bonded virtual device and let it come up as a single interface, then re-add it to the virtual device everything comes up and the link aggregation works perfectly until the machine is restarted, then I have to go through the same rigmarole.

I've tried this with a couple of different switches and tried changing the LACP timeouts, modes etc but always with the same result.

Has any one else tried this and had any luck?

boinkboink

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2007
I have the exact same problem. I am scratching my head since Wednesday. I worked perfectly well with Lion but couldn't get IP address when LA is activated (after rebooting).

sporadic

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Hereford, UK.
I have the exact same problem. I am scratching my head since Wednesday. I worked perfectly well with Lion but couldn't get IP address when LA is activated (after rebooting).

Good to know it wasn't just me then. The switches I tried were by different manufacturers so I was suspecting it was something up with Mountain Lion itself.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
No I meant 802.3ad but did not feel like typing all of that on my phone. It's a statement of exasperation.

Gotcha. Thanks. I just saw what I was doing for the next few months in a haze of hate if you meant ActvDir.

aplnub

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2008
Same problem here. Just updated a MacPro and the link aggregation failed. Really sucks running off one ethernet connection. :(

dbaps

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2011
Waldorf, MD
Link aggregation

Doesn't every new Mac OS break Active Directory? At least that's my impression going back to Snow Leopard.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
Doesn't every new Mac OS break Active Directory? At least that's my impression going back to Snow Leopard.

Nope. Not this time surprisingly. 10.8 is working like 10.7.2+. No complaints. But this is a thread on link aggregation. So...

thehimay

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2009
Toronto, ON, CA
Has any one else tried this and had any luck?

I didn't setup the bond interface until after upgrading to Mountain Lion, but it seems to be working fine for me. Persists after boot and everything, and working fine for talking to my FreeBSD server (also running a lagg interface).

I'm running those into a Netgear GS108T in the event that helps you at all in the troubleshooting process.

sporadic

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Hereford, UK.
I didn't setup the bond interface until after upgrading to Mountain Lion, but it seems to be working fine for me. Persists after boot and everything, and working fine for talking to my FreeBSD server (also running a lagg interface).

I'm running those into a Netgear GS108T in the event that helps you at all in the troubleshooting process.

Still can't get it to persist across reboots after trying it with exactly that switch model (borrowed). I can't see much in the way of configuration on this thing, you just seem to set the ports in a LAGG, turn on LACP and set the timeout to long or short. I can get the virtual interface to work on the mac but as soon as it reboots the members show "no partner" when you look at the virtual interface details and fail to come up. I have to take a NIC out, save and exit the settings, go back in and re-add the NIC after it comes up as a single interface and that kicks the LAGG into life.

thehimay

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2009
Toronto, ON, CA
I have to take a NIC out, save and exit the settings, go back in and re-add the NIC after it comes up as a single interface and that kicks the LAGG into life.

I'm assuming you've already given this a try, but if you destroy the VNIC, save those settings and reboot, that persists just fine (as independent NICs)? And after such, you can make the LAGG VNIC fresh again, get it to run, and it won't persist after boot?

Another thought...is everything looking okay for the NICs after the reboot? Have you look at "ifconfig" from the terminal while the LAGG won't fire up correctly to see if maybe one of the interfaces is not firing up properly?

Just trying to come up with ideas here as I can if they could help. Or if I'm extra lucky, you've been fortunate enough to already have resolved this issue!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.