Link Aggregation

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Davy.Shalom, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Davy.Shalom macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

I have two ethernet cables plugged into my mac pro...now how do I go about doing the rest?

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

should be automatic as per the protocol specifications. :)

3. Davy.Shalom thread starter macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

Will Network utility show me activity on both ethernet ports somehow?

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

unfortunately i dont think so. system prefs would show 2 interfaces - and you wuold probably need some 3rd party software to see both interfaces in action. Acitivity monitor would only show a combined total.

5. Davy.Shalom thread starter macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

That's sad...so there's no absolute way to prove that both ports are working together?

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ive never tried, so most certianly dont quote me for this. i have a program that can see the throughput of all ports individually - it sits in the Menu bar. i think its called "network monitor". iirc

7. OZMP macrumors 6502

Does your switch support 802.3ad? Do you have the two ports it is plugged into paired? Have you created a virtual team from network preferences?

8. Davy.Shalom thread starter macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

9. ifdn10028 macrumors newbie

here is how

Your switch will need to support link ag. You'll also need another computer connected to the switch in case something doesn't work. As you'll need a clear path to the switch. The following instructions are for snow leopard and differ slightly for previous versions.

1. Set switch to use lacp (dynamic port aggregation) on the ports that your MacPro is connected to.

2. In the system pref> network page add a new virtual interface. In the pull down menu choose manage virtual interfaces select add a new interface, choose link aggregate.

3. In the virtual interface settings screen choose the two ports you want to aggregate.

That should be all. Of course this is not as easy as all that, there are a bunch of little things that can go wrong.

I'm shocked at how useless the advice you've received seems to be thus far.

It would probably be best if people who don't know what they are talking about, keep their virtual mouths shut. You won't look dumb if you don't say anything in a forum.

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

Wow. I kind of take offense to that, as I feel you were aiming it at my vague responses before? Not to matter.

A forum is just that, replies are made, replies to those replies are made. Wisdom and knowledge is exchanged. I am on these forums to learn, if I am wrong I expect to be corrected with evidence, but never attacked. If you can't stand this scenario then I suggest you leave immediately or face the comments. We are all beginners in our own way.

Anyway, thanks for that walkthrough. Would a computer that has two different interfaces (I.e. A pc with built in Ethernet + PCIe Ethernet card) be able to do this? Not that I would benefit, just intriguing :)

11. piggy123 macrumors newbie

Haha, you really are a douchebag.

12. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

Come on man don't hate. It must be frustrating putting up with people who don't know their stuff (in this topic) like me haha. I can def understand where he is coming from. Its such an interesting topic, lets keep it OT?

13. PaulD-UK macrumors member

Hi
    Thats fine for your FaceBook page (which doesn't have to be visited ;) ), but on a technical form there needs to be self-control otherwise the noise level of inaccurate information rises so high the forum becomes useless.

On every technical subject, like Link Aggregation, their are a dozens of Wikipedia-like pages out there that accurately allow you to read what it does and how it works.

THEN, with that basic knowledge, meaningful questions can be quickly posted and get answered by knowledgeable members here.

Where, like this thread, the OP doesn't understand the way in which ethernet Aggregation works, and what it can and can't do, then stepping in with half-baked responses is just wrecking the thread.

14. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hello :)
    i found this comment funny - have you checked the iPhone section of these forums lately? :D

or allowing others to give correct answers. either way, its opinion vs opinion. i really enjoy learning anything about protocols, networking and anything generally related to how hardware and communication works. would you like to enlighten me with the basic run down of how it works?

oh and btw - when i look into technologies such as this i am generally after an indepth answer. no just a wikipedia answer, which are so vague its just ridiculous attempting to get your head around it. :)

as you can tell im being very friendly about this conversation - because i respect that you know what you're talking about. i hope to be treated in a similar fashion and not be flamed. (if possible ;) )