Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bcollett

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2015
I found an issue with my Link Bracelet and I wanted to find out if anyone else has the same issue.

I regularly switch the bands on my Apple Watch between the Link Bracelet and the Sport Band. Each time I switch them I have to unlink one of the links on the Link Bracelet in order to remove it from the watch. I usually unlink one of the links closest to the butterfly clasp. What I've started to notice is difficultly reconnecting the two ends of the Link Bracelet back together when I put the band back on the watch.

I investigated this difficulty and found that the link mechanism on both ends of the butterfly clasp are the issue. On both sides it seems the link latch has become loose or disconnected from the clasp. I looked at the link latches on other individual links and they did not exhibit this issue.

I made this video showing the faulty latches and a good latch on separate link.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
Why do you have to take a link out each time? I change mine almost daily, but have never needed to take a link out.

jdogg836

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
Oklahoma
I change my band out rather frequently as well. Sport band for work, link band for play. I don't know why you unhook the link each time, you can slide the link band loose without having to do so. I mean, press the release button and slide the band slightly just so it doesn't latch again then do the same for the other side. Once both are detached, you can slide the band easily out of both ends at the same time.

Reactions: jonfarr

PedCrossing

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2012
The Loop
Well, it seems that the link is not designed to be detached frequently. If you're concerned you could always go to Apple for help.

And you really don't have to detach the links to remove or install the band, just slide both end of the band into the watch at the same time. Removing a link bracelet from the watch is a little bit trickier, release one end and slide it out just a little bit, then release the other end and slowly slide both ends out at the same time.

bcollett

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2015
Why do you have to take a link out each time? I change mine almost daily, but have never needed to take a link out.

I'm not removing a link, I'm unlinking one link so the bracelet is in two parts and I can remove the two parts from the watch.

I change my band out rather frequently as well. Sport band for work, link band for play. I don't know why you unhook the link each time, you can slide the link band loose without having to do so. I mean, press the release button and slide the band slightly just so it doesn't latch again then do the same for the other side. Once both are detached, you can slide the band easily out of both ends at the same time.

I tried this before but found it much more difficult than unlinking and removing the band in two pieces. Also, had you checked out the Apple Watch User Guide... "Important: Press a quick release button first so that the Link Bracelet is in two pieces before you attempt to remove or resize it."

I'm not sure why everyone is questioning my methods - I said what I do and it needs no explaining. It is the official way to do things. I made this post to see if anyone else has seen the same issue as described and seen in the video.

jdogg836

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
Oklahoma
Nope. Doesn't sound like anyone else has that issue. I didn't check out the user guide since it's a watch band. And my understanding of mechanisms told me that if I link/unlink too much I'm going to have wear and tear or failure of those little tiny links. Since it is Apple's official method of changing bands, I'd contact them.

bcollett

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2015
my understanding of mechanisms told me that if I link/unlink too much I'm going to have wear and tear or failure of those little tiny links. Since it is Apple's official method of changing bands, I'd contact them.

Those were my thoughts, too. I tried contacting Apple today, but AppleCare is closed until tomorrow.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Well, it seems that the link is not designed to be detached frequently. If you're concerned you could always go to Apple for help.

And you really don't have to detach the links to remove or install the band, just slide both end of the band into the watch at the same time. Removing a link bracelet from the watch is a little bit trickier, release one end and slide it out just a little bit, then release the other end and slowly slide both ends out at the same time.
Yeah, you have to slide it out bit by bit, one side at a time. It's easy when you get used to it though.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
According to Apple that is the correct way to remove the link bracelet (like op) but like a hand wound watch it's a big wear on those tiny bits.

I'm actually happy my watch is taking a while to arrive :) I can see the do and don't of the watch and learn :p

Reactions: Eric5964

NM08SRT8

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
Earf
I'm not removing a link, I'm unlinking one link so the bracelet is in two parts and I can remove the two parts from the watch.

I tried this before but found it much more difficult than unlinking and removing the band in two pieces. Also, had you checked out the Apple Watch User Guide... "Important: Press a quick release button first so that the Link Bracelet is in two pieces before you attempt to remove or resize it."

I'm not sure why everyone is questioning my methods - I said what I do and it needs no explaining. It is the official way to do things. I made this post to see if anyone else has seen the same issue as described and seen in the video.

Again, why are you taking it off in two pieces? Not understanding your thought process behind this....

NM08SRT8

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
Earf
That's how apple states is the correct way to remove the link bracelet to change bands; someone posted the link.

I get that. But I would think releasing both ends that attach to the watch, and sliding them both out the same direction would work too? I don't have my watch yet, or will I have the link bracelet, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
I get that. But I would think releasing both ends that attach to the watch, and sliding them both out the same direction would work too? I don't have my watch yet, or will I have the link bracelet, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Well that's how I will be doing it, imo sliding both side avoiding tension it's going to be fine and of less wear and tear.

bcollett

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2015
I just got done talking to Apple. The first AppleCare person I talked didn’t know what the problem was and ended up sending me to a senior advisor. I gave the senior advisor the video I posted here and he asked if I’d take it into an Apple Store to be checked out. He also gave me his email and asked me to update him on what I find out. So now I’m going to take it to the Apple Store in a day or so and give you all an update.

Last edited:

bmac4

Suspended
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
I don't care what the manual says. If I am taking my band off and switching it that much. There is no way the band is not going to take some major wear and tear and stop working. This band was not made to be taken on and off this way multiple times a day. I don't believe Apple had in mind people switch out the linked bracelet every single day. If you plan to keep that up, you will need to adjust and take it off the way multiple people have suggested here.

If Apple gives you a new band, I would suggest either not taking the band off every day. Or go with the method others have suggested. If not you will have the same issue again. This was not a manufacturing defect. This is just the band not being made to do that.

jaycarroll

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2009
Denville, NJ
I don't care what the manual says. If I am taking my band off and switching it that much. There is no way the band is not going to take some major wear and tear and stop working. This band was not made to be taken on and off this way multiple times a day. I don't believe Apple had in mind people switch out the linked bracelet every single day. If you plan to keep that up, you will need to adjust and take it off the way multiple people have suggested here.

If Apple gives you a new band, I would suggest either not taking the band off every day. Or go with the method others have suggested. If not you will have the same issue again. This was not a manufacturing defect. This is just the band not being made to do that.

So, to be clear, you are recommending that he not follow Apple's published instructions for the band swapping feature. If following those instructions results in band failure, then I expect a new band regularly. If I don't follow these instructions and otherwise damage the band trying to remove it one piece, I'm screwed.

Seems like the choice is simple.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area

I don't have the metal link and never will but that's just wrong.
Apple designed the bands to be swappable and then gave official instructions for doing so.
If the band can't put up with that kind of wear in only a month then that is definitely a defect.
If this problem spreads we should defintiely be seeing a redesign of the band or a revision of the instructions.

bmac4

Suspended
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
So, to be clear, you are recommending that he not follow Apple's published instructions for the band swapping feature. If following those instructions results in band failure, then I expect a new band regularly. If I don't follow these instructions and otherwise damage the band trying to remove it one piece, I'm screwed.

Seems like the choice is simple.
I am not suggesting that he do it the wrong way. What I am saying is that if he is going to keep changing the band out daily, he is going to have major issues. There is not a steel band in the world that could hold up to that kind of wear and tear every single day.

Now if he choices to change the band daily he is going to have to get creative. That is what I am saying.

bmac4

Suspended
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
I don't have the metal link and never will but that's just wrong.
Apple designed the bands to be swappable and then gave official instructions for doing so.
If the band can't put up with that kind of wear in only a month then that is definitely a defect.
If this problem spreads we should defintiely be seeing a redesign of the band or a revision of the instructions.

Ok I pretty sure Apple designed these band not to be changed every single day. Yes they made them so user could change the band, but doing so every single day is not going to last. I don't care what kind of design Apple same up with. No steel band is going to be able to go through this kind of wear and tear daily and not break. That is just plain and simple.

My suggestion would be to either stop switching daily, or if you are going to switch daily go to the other method. Or return the band and go with a sport, or one of the other Apple bands. This band is just not going to hold up doing it this way.

bmac4

Suspended
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Please cite where Apple indicated this. Otherwise, you're spreading FUD.
Please show me wear Apple sited they could be changed daily. This is common sense. How could a steel band with this kind of link removal handle daily use? Would you take out a link daily on a Rolex to switch the band, and expect that band to hold up? I would not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.