Link iMac to sony Bravia via wifi???

Discussion in 'iMac' started by newmaccy, Jan 31, 2012.

1. newmaccy macrumors newbie

As Sony only have BBC iplayer and Demand5 I was hoping that I can somehow link my Mac to the Tv using Wifi to watch 4OD, SkyGo, ITV player etc.

My TV is too far away for using cables. The TV does have Wifi, and when I had a PC it linked , but it doesnt seem to recognise my iMac.

Has anyone got any ideas, please bear in mind I am not very tekkie.:confused:

Thanks Guys and Girls x

2. Tombs macrumors regular

Tombs

I would think you need some sort of software to drive this. I know Vuze works very well on my iMac and connects no problem with my Sony tv. I just place the program or film in the Bravia folder and play. Sony are adding tv stations regularly to their line up maybe just a case of waiting until these are added?

3. newmaccy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that, does this work for the catch up tv sites?

----------

do you connect using wifi? if so can you explain how, cause my tv can't see my iMac!

4. Tombs macrumors regular

Tombs

No, it's not a "catch up TV" service, it more of a way to stream download content to your tv. If Vuze can do that I would have thought there must be a way of downloading content from a catch up site and then streaming it through Vuze to your Sony TV.

5. robgendreau macrumors 68040

There are some ways to serve media to a TV that is connected to wifi, but it all depends on the "computer" attached to the TV. You should check with Sony to see how your TV can receive from a computer.

If you can store what you want to watch on your computer, then I suspect you could use Playback by Yazsoft to serve up media to your Bravia; I know it works great with my PS3. Essentially it makes stored stuff on your Mac available on the TV, like iTunes, iPhoto, EyeTV, etc. But it's a server, meaning it still doesn't send video from say a website you're viewing; it just serves up files. In other words, you go to the client-TV and use its software to get the stuff you want to watch, and it plays it. Distinguish that from say playing something on the Mac and broadcasting it to the TV: that's an entirely different matter, and much tougher to do, if not impossible.

As noted with Vuze, for example, you drag and drop the media into a folder that would be the Bravia. It could then play it. It's not like your computer is sending its picture to the Bravia.

Rob

6. newmaccy thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks guys, really wanted a way to see my imac through my tv using the wifi, so I can view the catchup tv in tv rather than computer screen.

Looks like its a no go then, unless I link it by cable!

Thanks again x

7. Mildredop macrumors 68020

Is this still the case? I could stream to my Sony TV using Chromecast etc., but is there an easier, more direct way? I thought HDNA (is that what it's called?) meant everything should chat nicely to each other and streaming video from my MBP to my Sony KDL-42W70 would be very straighforward?

8. tdbrown75 macrumors member

tdbrown75

Purchase an Apple TV (Gen 3) for $65, connect it to your TV, and Airplay your Mac to the Apple TV.

Tim

9. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

there are many ways to do this, chromecast for streaming something streaming to your mac, but anything downloaded can be done over DLNA using an app like servio or the sony inbuilt computer browsing software.